Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Redirected from Malware forum

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
http://senduit.com/eb8026

That is what it looks like

Advertisements

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Okay, so I just tried pasting the link in Internet Explorer and it worked.
I'll re-initiate your previous instructions

Firefox is retarded or something

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I ran that program and everything is still exactly the same in the device manager.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If you use IE for access, you will be given a standard 'Open' or 'Save' dialog. That will be easier than copying to Notepad, saving as .vbs extension file and then running.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everyone.

There are times when clear format is the only feasible solution. Personally, looking at this thread, I think that we are nearing this point. This is up to your judgment, of course, but at this point of time I would do the following.

1: Clear the BIOS. Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other notification. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS. You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

2: Download Sandra XII from the link in my signature and create a Sandra Report. How to create a Sandra XII report:

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Download Sandra XII using the link in my signature. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. Install and run the program. Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the option uncheck everything which is not a hardware test. Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer just testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report items which did not pass the test successfully.

3: If there are no errors in Sandra I would perform two extra hardware tests: The first, run a memory test. Use the link in my signature to Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tools. Create a bootable disk and run the program at least for an hour. Second, downlod the diagnostic tool of your hard disk manufacturer, create a bootable disk and run a full test of the HD. This should be found in it's internet site. If you wish us to help you with a link write down the name of the manufacturer and the model of your HD.

If there are no errors in memory and HD tests then I would reformat and clean install everything.

Note: Regarding cloning the hard disk, this can be a mistake. Clonning copies everything, to the last bit, to another HD or partition, either directly or by creating an image that can be "open" latter. If there are errors, malware or any other trouble with any of your applications or system, they will be moved into the image and you will return to square one.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I did the BIOS thing
Do i need to update it now since I'm back to the original default settings?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Nope. Just go into BIOS and make sure everything is set properly. Time, date, boot order, etc.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
In the Sandra XII I don't see where to run any kind of test also

I see 6 icons:

Tools
Software
Testing
Benchmarks
Hardware
Get More!

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
All of that stuff is set correctly, aye

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
My computer's performance, it seems, has not gotten any better, unfortunately

I'm considering a reformat..

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yeah. (Sigh) If we had done that at the beginning....

I think the thrust of Skeptic's last post was to check out your hardware with Sandra before going through the reformat/clean install process.
if serious hardware problems are at the root, you might just end up at the same place.

Before formatting, I suggest not only saving all your data to external media or hard drive, but also downloading all your drivers and fresh copies of your security programs' setup files. Burn those all to CD so that you can get 'driver functional' and install your security before connecting to the net the first time.

I always write down all my codes-Windows and software, so when the time comes to enter them I'm ready. Just to make sure, I write out the word 'six,' 'one,' and 'zero' so as not to confuse with letters.

Just think about everything you'll need at the end before you even start.

Edited by 1101doc, 02 December 2007 - 08:01 PM.

rf6647

rf6647

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
In your post under the malware topic, the last Deckard's System Scan (DSS) showed 2 instances of Kaspersky Internet Security running. That strikes me as odd. If this concerns you, re-run DSS twice: first with Kaspersky running; then with it stopped (fully ended, not suspended). Compare the running process lists.

Assuming that it does not appear in the process list when it has been stopped, make observations about system slowness.

If you have already traveled this road before, good luck with making a clean start.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
As soon as I find all my discs and stuff.. I'm gonna reformat today.

:)

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
MemTest came up clean

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Also.. This might sound a bit naive,
But I have no idea how to save my data to my harddrive before reformatting

i.e. How would I save drivers and stuff ahead of time?
Also would I have to install the software for my Wireless Internet Adapter before I could get online after a reformat?
And last what about stuff like Windows Service Packs? I read that I should have a copy of those too but have no idea how beforehand
..Also do I need to buy a certain type of CD's? The one's I have (DVD-R) aren't working or something.
and also do i need any type of cd code for my windows cd? all i have is the cd at the moment

Edited by Oniketsoku, 03 December 2007 - 02:05 PM.