Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kernel data page error

• Please log in to reply

therobj

therobj

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
hi

Recently i thought i had a hardware problem so i bought a new hard drive and installed XP. Unfortunately the day after I have installed my computer has blue screened with the same message I got with the old drive which says something about a kernel date page error. it has numbers on the blue screen but it only flashes up for a second so I dont have enough time to make a note of them.

One thing I'm thinking the problem could be is that when i reloaded windows at the beginning of the process a message came up about third party drivers or something? I have seperate driver cd's for my motherboard and graphics card. should i have installed them at that stage maybe?

If anyone has any idea's that would be very helpful. Perhaps my version of XP is just corrupt or something? Its a copy that i got off my friend. anyway im pretty pissed off after spending hours last nite format the new drive then put windows and all the other programs i have on. humph :)

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello therobj,

It sounds to me like you've been dealing with quite an issue. We should probably have a closer look at the BSOD you are getting. Please use the following steps to turn off the automatic restart:
  • Go to Start, right-click My Computer, then Select Properties
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings
  • In the System failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart"
  • Click OK twice
Now, your system will not automatically restart when the error occurs. This does not mean the issue is resolved, it just means you will be able to see the Error Name when it is encountered.

When your machine next encounters the problem, Please write down the Error Name and Number (using paper and pencil) and post it back here into this same thread when you reply.

Regards,

Ax

therobj

therobj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
right ok. will do that and let you know how it goes. it hasnt happened since i installed some 86 windows updates the day after i reinstalled xp so we'll have to see what happens. i havent yet troubled the new drive with importing my 42gb's of music yet tho so thats the big test really. will let you know. thanks

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Sounds good, glad things are working fine at the moment. Let me know if/when you do come across your not-so-friendly BSOD.

Regards,

Ax

therobj

therobj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
right so bad news it happened again last nite! Here is the error message in full

Kernel_data_inpage_error

stop: 0x0000007A (0xc05D37D8, 0xC000000, 0xBA6FB2AO, 0x6C338860)

SCSIPORT.SYS_ADDRESS BA6FB2AO BASE AT BA6F3000 DATESTAMP 41107b4b

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact admninistrator etc

maybe that will cast some light on the problem?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I think you might have a driver/controller issue. Your initial post installing the third party drivers seems to be what you needed to do:

Important

• You can install disk controller drivers not present on the Windows XP Professional operating system CD by responding to the following prompt shortly after starting Setup:
  • Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.
  • Press F6, and when prompted, provide the appropriate storage controller driver (ATA or SCSI) supplied by the manufacturer.

updatexp.com

Regards,

Ax

therobj

therobj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
right ok. do you have any idea where I would get the storage controller driver that i need for this? i didnt get anything like that with my new hdd. I have one floppy disc that I got with my computer that is a RAID installation support disc but i dont know if thats the same thing?

also is there any way that I can sort this out without reinstalling windows?

therobj

therobj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
its just crashed again twice in quick succession. the second time a new error code came up which is

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8927c648, 0x8927c7BC, 0x805D11F8)

now it also wants to check the hard disk for consistency every time i turn the computer on.

could it be something simple? My main hard drive is down as E: while my other hard drive that i use to store films is the C: drive. could this confuse the motherboard or is this irrelevant do you think?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
If nothing else, you may need to reinstall your system. You could try using your support disk to install the drivers, I would imagine it has the drivers on it.

It might or might not be something simple. Just to make sure, be certain that the hard disk used for the BOOT and SYSTEM volume is not in a slave position on the secondary IDE channel; This problem occurs on a computer in which Windows XP or a later operating system is installed on a hard disk that is configured as a subordinate and no other device is connected to the same IDE controller channel (primary or secondary).

I'm not sure of the relevance because you have two drives, but you could try running with just your primary drive (make sure it's set to be the master)

Regards,

Ax

therobj

therobj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yeh ive thought about this actually but someone told me that the master drive is always the one with the OS installed on it. Is there any other way I can check which is slave and which is master or shud i change them round manually on the motherboard?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
The master should be the drive with the OS installed on it. Here's a nice tutorial that might help you out:
How to Change the Master/Slave Designation on a Hard Drive | eHow.com