Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black SoD Issue

• Please log in to reply

rustyCrVx

rustyCrVx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently purchased and built my first custom PC, but I've recently been having some issues with it...
Any time I leave the computer running without use for than say 10 hours, I always return to a
blue screen of death or a powered down machine. Then I have to be incredibly too patient. After
facing the blue screen when I try to boot up the computer I end up with a black screen. There
are no beeps and the computer seems to boot up everything, however the monitor remains in
Standby and there's no power to my keyboard or mouse. Once this has happened there's no way
to boot up the [bleep] thing. I have to keep trying over the span of a couple days, while wishing
of nuking it, until magically it'll turn on again. Oh, and resetting CMOS and taking out the battery
doesn't do squat.

I had originally had my computer at a stable overclock (24 hr tested prime95) and its temps
never rose above 60*C. When I ran into the blue screen/black screen double team I set everything
back to stock speeds and settings. The problem persisted. I did find out that if I simply turned off
my computer when it wasn't in use I could reboot it and have no problems. That's what I do now
but sometimes if I forget to turn it off I have to deal with the bs again. Here are the specs if it helps:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz G0 stepping (cooled by 92mm Zalman)
Asus P5B Deluxe Mobo
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
Seagate Barracuda 250gb
Corsair Dominator 2gb(2x1gb) DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15
Windows XP sp2

I've got no viruses, no spyware, my hdd is fine, and when my computer's on it works great. I should
mention though that when I first pieced together the computer the heatsink was incorrectly installed,
something plastic got stuck in between the hs and cpu causing the temps to be at around 70*C when
IDLE! I flipped out, found the plastic, and felt like an idiot. It took me a couple days to figure it out
so I dono if that could have anything to do with it.
Plzzzz help!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
From my signature download the following programs:

1: Everest. Run it on Computer > Sensor. Please report temperatures of mptherboard, cpu and HD, and voltages.

2: Microsoft memory test utility. Burn a bootable CD and run a memory test for few hours. Please report if there are any errors.

3: Sandra XII. Please follow these instructions:

How to create a Sandra XII report.

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Download Sandra XII using the link in my signature. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. Install and run the program.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the options uncheck everything which you do not need to test. In your case leave only hardware tests. Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. The test is quite long. On my computer just testing the hardware takes about 40 minutes. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report only items which did not pass the test successfully.

In addition:
Write down the details of the blue screen.
Go to control panel > power options. In Power Sheme set Standby to Never. In Hibernate disable Hibernate.
Eventhough you cleared the BIOS please do this again by unplugging the power and taking the battery out for 10-15 minutes. Run it on default settings and do not change anything except for sriing time and date and enabaling necessary functions such as USB, onboard sound card, onboard communication card etc.

rustyCrVx

rustyCrVx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well since this last time my computer hasn't turned on at all so I can't do any of that...

Should I replace the mobo, I guess?