Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Really Old computer upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Taiketsue

Taiketsue

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a really old computer that has been sitting around for a while i just recently decided to upgrade it but i want to make an efficient computer for a cheap price

This old computer has an amazing
128MB Ram
8GB hard drive
and a really old AMD proccessor

I really need to upgrade very badly lol
any upgrade tips would be appriciated and i would like to keep it cheap
this computer is not going to be used except for anything but browsing the internet nothing else

Edited by Taiketsue, 24 November 2007 - 05:14 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
For internet access only, stick more memory in it. That's all it really needs.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If you are just using it for internet then the only thing you can do is to add some more RAM. Anything else you are going to have to start from scratch if the PC is really old. What OS (Operating System) are you running on it? XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98?

Taiketsue

Taiketsue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i am currently running widows xp

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
ok yeah if you have XP then it is not terribly old. If you are just doing basic tasks then you might be able to get away with some more RAM.

Do you know what kind of RAM you need?

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 November 2007 - 08:18 PM.

Taiketsue

Taiketsue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i really dont know i was thinking at least 256mb or even 512mb

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok but what I was referring to was what type of RAM your board runs (DDR, DDR2, ect.). Do you know what board it is? Or the brand and model# the PC is (Dell Dimension 1500 or something)?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

ok yeah if you have XP then it is not terribly old.

$1 million imaginary dollars says the computer did not come with XP. :) I$1 million more says it came with either 98 or ME. (I$ = imaginary dollars)

Ok but what I was referring to was what type of RAM your board runs (DDR, DDR2, ect.).

Yet another I$1 million says the board uses SDRAM, which is the granddaddy of your DDR.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

ok yeah if you have XP then it is not terribly old.

$1 million imaginary dollars says the computer did not come with XP. :) I$1 million more says it came with either 98 or ME. (I$ = imaginary dollars)

Ok but what I was referring to was what type of RAM your board runs (DDR, DDR2, ect.).

Yet another I$1 million says the board uses SDRAM, which is the granddaddy of your DDR.

lol :)

Ok smartypants. :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 November 2007 - 11:36 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hey, I didn't say any of that, it was $3 million imaginary dollars saying it. :) Man, I shouldn't stay up this late...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
*troy thinks this is the same money admin pays all the staff with here at Geeks to Go!