Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will a 500W PSU run it?

• Please log in to reply

Subaru

Subaru

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Radeon x1950 pro
2GB of high quality DDR2 gaming RAM
320GB Sata Hard drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Socket AM2 Processor
Biostar TForce TF520-A2 Socket AMS ATX mobo
NZXT Appollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower

This is the build im upgrading my current computer to. Its not the best spec i know but its goign to get the job done once overclocked.

Also if you guys have any other suggestions of what pieces i should switch for around the same price please feel free to post.

Edited by Subaru, 24 November 2007 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Have you bought all of these parts yet or is this still on just paper?

Any games in particular that you want to play or do you just want to be able to play any game on the market?

PS: 500W would be enough for those current specs but I might make it at least a 550W just to be safe and for future upgrades. Also make sure you buy a PSU from a trusted power supply manufacture. I like Antec.

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 November 2007 - 09:47 PM.

Subaru

Subaru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
im running the radeon with a 4400 amd with the 500 power watt i play all games but just looking to get a build with a little bit more to it. I fully plan on upgrading the power supply when i get a bigger graphics card. As far as the processor and motherboard do you have any suggestions? I want to play games with little lag but i dont really need the best right now

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If you want suggestions on the CPU and mobo I would go with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 and the mobo depends on what kind of Hard Drive (HD) you have. Would get something with a P35 North Bridge. If you are running a SATA 3Gb/s HD then I would get this board: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059
and I assume the card is PCI-E x16.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115029

Subaru

Subaru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the tip my friend was saying not to go quad yet. Since we have derailed off into other aspects of the computer if i transfer over the HD, psu, graphics card into a ATX tower will i have to wipe the HD for it to be functional with the new board and processor, for the drives and such. Im not sure as i think the only drives on the HD is from the graphics card to begin with. Like i said im pretty new to this stuff.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for the tip my friend was saying not to go quad yet. Since we have derailed off into other aspects of the computer if i transfer over the HD, psu, graphics card into a ATX tower will i have to wipe the HD for it to be functional with the new board and processor, for the drives and such. Im not sure as i think the only drives on the HD is from the graphics card to begin with. Like i said im pretty new to this stuff.

Its a good idea to always wipe and reload your harddrive when putting it into a brand new machine for the MAIN harddrive to get rid of any old chipset or other drivers from your past machine.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I recommend getting the new AMD black edition because of the unlocked multiplier.

Soorena