Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am trying to repair my computer!HELP!

• Please log in to reply

thefreed

thefreed

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
will about a month ago I had some virus on my comp and my computer didnt come with a format or repair disk so I borrowed one from my friend which was a home edition so I thought it was fine to use it on my computer, but found out internet wasnt working(I am a comp noob) so I sent it to a repair center cuz I didnt have any repair or norton ghost cds... and then I try to repair my computer again and I downloaded this repair disc image on a Korean p2p but it doesnt work and says that its PRODUCT KEY is valid or something... but then I find out that it was a XP PRO CD and I have to find a XP home edition SP2 cd... can u plz help me reparing my comp so that I can get on the internet right after?

General:
Windows XP home edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 2 OEM
its intel celeron cpu 2.53 GHz, 512 MB RAM

can u help me do something because my computer is painstakingly slow

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to our friendly forum, thefreed.

First you should know that you can't re-install Windows XP on to your PC using someone else's XP CD. It's illegal to do that and it wouldn't work because the required product activation would be refused, regardless of whatever Product Key you used. This forum does not help with obtaining software or product keys illegally (and using P2P for that purpose is most definitely illegal).

However, it is legal to use someone else's legally obtained XP CD just to perform a 'repair' on your own legal Windows installation, but the CD has to be the same version of Windows as the one on your PC (ie XP Home or XP Pro), otherwise the repair won't work.

If you can't borrow a CD for repair purposes only (NOT for installing Windows complete), you might try checking your PC for malware infections which may be the cause of your problems. If Windows is working at all, you can run a utility called 'HijackThis' and post it's it's log-file here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

You can download HijackThis from here: http://www.spywarein....php#hijackthis

And please, no more obtaining product keys via P2P or any other illegal activity, and certainly no more requests for help involving such activities. The forum rules are quite clear on this.

Please remember to post the log-file created by HijackThis to this section only:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Edited by pip22, 25 November 2007 - 04:12 AM.