Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using second hard drive to run applications & games.

• Please log in to reply

Sirius Black

Sirius Black

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello-
My PC components are as follows:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard, AMD Athlon +3200 CPU, 2 gigs memory, ATI Radeon XL800 PCI-E card running Windows XP Home Edition.
My primary hard drive is 98 percent full. I use Photoshop & other editing tools daily and run some games.
I recently purchased and installed a 750g SATA internal hard drive primarily to backup all my picture files.
I want to move programs like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, DxO Optics Pro and other programs to the new hard drive and be able to install and run these applications from there.
My computer came with Windows XP installed so I dont have a Windows installation disc, I haven't partitioned the new drive because I'm not entirely clear how this works. I cant find a straight forward answer on other sites.
In a nut shell; I need to make room on the primary "C" drive and want to use the new drive to run many of the programs that require a lot of space.
Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

litefogg

litefogg

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
:) go ahead and (ntfs) format the HDD. this only makes it eccesable, to windows, otherwise, you'll find it, in the hardware list but hove no shortcut; in My computer. Now....Install the programs (as normal) selecting the directory, of your new HDD. That's it.