Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB advice

• Please log in to reply

Umk22

Umk22

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, just registered. I've ran into a problem with my laptop USB ports (I use a Compaq Presario, running XP). I'm pretty sure they are defective, and I'm looking for advice as to my next step. I lost functionality with my laser mouse, not only did the computer not detect it (not even in the device manager), but the power light was sporadic, sometimes receiving and sometimes not (this applies to both of my laptop's ports). Having tried all the basic troubleshooting steps (updating, uninstalling, reinstalling USB drivers, unchecking the "allow computer to turn off this device in case of low battery" in power management, etc.), I can't seem to find a solution internally, which leads me to believe they are defective. I'm trying to find a solution, but money is somewhat of an issue. The cheapest and simplest option seems to be to simply buy a port replicator, but so far, all the replicators I've seen seem to plug into a usb port, which obviously doesn't solve my problem. I've seen a few that plug into a PS/2 port and/or parallel/serial port, but my laptop doesn't have any of those ports. What it does have (aside from the USB), are the monitor port, ethernet port, and a 1394 port. I suppose what I'm asking is, are there port replicators that can plug into any of those ports? If not, are there any other solutions? I obviously haven't ruled out simply getting it repaired, but I believe my warranty has expired, and repairs can be somewhat costly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Umk22 and welcome to the Geeks To Go! Forum.

Unless I missed something in your post, you have only mentioned that it's your laser mouse you're having the USB problem with.
In that case it may be your mouse that's not working properly and the USB ports themselves may not be the problem.

To that end you need to perform a few simple checks to confirm exactly which is to blame:

1. Plug some other USB device into your laptop's USB ports to see if it works okay.

2. Try the possibly defective mouse on another (problem-free) PC to see if it works okay or not.

If you need further help or wish to tell us the results of the above tests, please do not hesitate to reply.

Edited by pip22, 25 November 2007 - 04:25 AM.

Umk22

Umk22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I appreciate the help. I should've clarified, I had bought a replacement mouse, and it didn't work either, yet both of the mice worked perfectly fine on another laptop. I've also tried plugging other USB devices into the ports (such as a printer), and my computer has not been able to detect them.

Umk22

Umk22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
(I apologize for the double post)

Just another question. What exactly is a USB cardbus, and might I be able to use it to solve my problem?

Edit: It may help to add that, having checked my device manager, I do in fact have a cardbus controller.

Edited by Umk22, 25 November 2007 - 03:50 PM.

Umk22

Umk22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I bought I USB cardbus, bought a wireless mouse, plugged it in, and it's working. Thanks for the advice :)