Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting Questions

• Please log in to reply

pfrad

pfrad

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Im installing a 250 Gig HD, I will then put XP home on it , and clean the old HD out after that, question is should I Partition this new hard drive, and if so what sizes are recommended for C drive extc. haven"t partitioned before is it really worth it?

Thanks Guy's

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi pfrad,

I have become a regular of partitioning my hard drives, what I do is givew windows a 20GB partition, to install Office, all the service packs etc and then i leave the rest for music and games etc etc...

Another good reason I do this is because when I get malware, I can easily identify what it is in my program files/windows directory.

Just my opinion...

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Create one 20-30gb for os and some apps and another one for data. And if you would reinstall os - all data would be in safe.

pfrad

pfrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the info, now would I install OS first then use partition magic afterward, ?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You can do it that way, or while installing and setting up the initial partition. You can also do it thru computer management in administartive tools.