Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't click anything once desktop has loaded

• Please log in to reply

mozhi

mozhi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So, basically, once I start the computer, if I over my mouse over my task bar, it becomes an hour glass thing, and stays like that once I hover off. In addition, I can't click anything(icons) on my desktop. The only thing I can do(or think I can do) is open the Task Manager(ctrl+alt+del). So..is this a virus/spyware kinda thing? How do I fix it?

Help is appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum, mozhi

Not necessarily a virus or spyware infection -- could be errors on the C: drive or a bad/corrupt device driver. Turn off the PC, then turn it on again, and immediately start tapping the F8 key repeatedly until the 'Advanced Startup Options' screen appears (white text on a black background). First try "last known good configuration" (use arrow keys to select, and press [enter] key).

If that doesn't start Windows, restart, again tapping the F8 key as soon as PC restarts. This time choose "Safe Mode" and see if that starts Windows. Some system don't like this mode (they hang), so if that happens restart again in the same manner (tap F8) but this time choose "Safe Mode with Networking". If that mode starts Windows you should immediately disconnect your modem router or pull it's power=plug, because your third-party firewall (if you use one) doesn't load in safe mode so you are vulnerable to attack.

If you manage to get Windows to run in safe mode (allbeit with resolution and color-depth way too low, normal for safe mode) go into 'my computer', right-click C: drive icon and choose 'Properties'. Click the 'Tools' tab. In "Error-Checking" pane, click "Check Now". Tick both options and click "Start". Answer "Yes" for Windows to check the disk at the next re-start. Re-start the PC and the error-checker will run before Windows loads. Hopefully that will fix it. If not, please post again, explaining what you've tried.

Edited by pip22, 25 November 2007 - 11:22 AM.

mozhi

mozhi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I got onto safe mode after the unsuccessful "last known good configuration". I checked the diskcheck stuff in the Tools tab, and restarted. After restarting again after completing the check, it is still the same way it was. I can't right click/click on icons/anything on taskbar.