Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Hard-Drive into new computer?

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have recently bought a new motherboard, power supply, memory, graphics card, and case. I want to use the hard drive from my old computer in this new computer. The hard drive is a Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM. My question is, can I just set this up in the new case and be good to go? Some people have told me that I need to install Windows XP again when replacing the motherboard, which could pose a problem since I don't actually have a Windows XP Install Disk (I bought an HP computer which came with Windows XP Media Center Edition, so I don't have an install disk). Will I need to get an install disk? I have a recovery disk that I made with my DVD drive, would this work, because during the recovery it installs Windows XP I'm pretty sure.

Edited by gambLe1109, 25 November 2007 - 11:14 AM.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi gambLe1109,

Yeah you do have to re-install windows for the new components. I am no pro at Back Up CD's so I won't comment there.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Recovery disk would not work, you need to buy a copy of XP if you wish to use it on this computer.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I have had incidents where it worked, everything loaded and I was good to go, but the problem was that I had to remove all drivers and install new ones. Also technically since the old windows was registered to you then you don't need a new one if it works. Most of the time though you will see the blue screen of death as I call it. Also there is no harm in trying this if you get the error just reformat and install windows again.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Versions of Windows aside (just make sure you have a legal version, of course), I would complete a full format of the hard drive before using it in the new build.

wsx123

wsx123

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Get a free Linux live cd of any distro you prefer. This will run without installing for a backup if all does not go well. Try OpenSuse 10.3 live. Download the ISO file, burn it to a cd or dvd and you are good to go.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
So, to do this I should just use my recovery disk and basically reset to factory settings, and then take it out of my case and install it in the new computer?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
No. You see, the problems arise once you put the hard drive into the new computer. So, restoring factory settings beforehand won't make much difference. What you should do is save all important files to something like an external hard drive, or a USB flash drive, and then re-format the hard drive. Then you will need to buy a full copy of XP in order to install it on the new machine.