Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows IExplorer Showing 100% usage

• Please log in to reply

hi2utoo

hi2utoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Wife had a problem with her computer, Compaq 6000, Windows Home Edition XP. Got infected with some type of virus and kept trying to run Windows Media Player.
I ran usual utilities, Spybotsd, Adware, AVG etc... and cleaned up some stuff. Still had problem, went to do a date point restore, but apparently I had shut it off ???? at one point, I was working on a goggle search problem last summer and that could have been the time. So I decided to go ahead and do a reload from the disks that came with the system, I've done it twice before, no problems and pretty quick. She only uses the computer for e-mails and a few sites she visits. Anyway I couldn't get the wireless to work, Netgear, and as stated I've done this before, no problems. I'm on my laptop right now and wireless works, I checked all the settings, even turned off security just to get to the mininum settings. I run a cable over to the router and connect and get connection. I want to download all the updates, windows and get this fixed. The problem I'm having is when I run IExplorer it will open which site I point it at but within seconds it quites responding. Look at task manager and it's not responding and usage is 98-99 percent. I'm going to dig deeper, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas what could be going on. As stated I've reloaded the system twice before over the years and it was simple and fast.

Thanx and by the way I found this site researching the problem on the net and just looking it over it really looks good. I visit a few other forum sites of interest I have, fishing and boats and this one seems to have the same type of standards and integrity i enjoy in a site.

Good Bless

Advertisements

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I suspect mailcious software activity.

Seeing as you already tried to get rid of the problem, i recommend reading the thread found here and completing all the instructions that you have not already done. Skip anything you cannot do.

Don't change you system in any way after you have posted the HijackThis log, as this may cause difficulties with the fix.

Remember to post the log in the HijackThis Logs Go Here forum and include any information that may help fix your computer.