Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two OSs on one computer?

• Please log in to reply

Guessgirl96

Guessgirl96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was forced to switch to Vista when I got my new computer and a couple of my old programs wont run. On one of my old computer I had two operating systems on it and it asked you which to start up at start up. Does anyone know how to do this? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!! :)

Edited by Guessgirl96, 25 November 2007 - 01:00 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Before installing a second OS on your Vista PC, there is something you can try first which may allow those programs to run.
1. Right-click the shortcut for that program and choose 'properties'.
2. Click the tab labelled 'Compatibility'.
3. Tick the box against "Run this program in compatibility mode for...."
4. Click the drop-down arrow and select "Windows XP SP2".
5. Click 'OK' to save that setting.

Now double-click that shortcut to see if that program will run.
You'll need to repeat those steps for the shortcut of each program that won't run on Vista.

There are some programs where even the above steps won't make any difference, in which case you need to install XP on a separate disk or partition on the Vista PC as you suggested, but before doing so you should try and get hold of an alternative program which will work on Vista since that would avoid the need to buy a copy of XP which is now getting hard to find.

If you do wish to go with the dual boot idea, there's a tutorial here:
http://apcmag.com/54...ng_vista_and_xp

Thezig

Thezig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Good advice from pip! But if that don't work go here:
http://www.tech-reci...on_tips547.html

Good luck

Guessgirl96

Guessgirl96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot guys, very helpful!!

januszon

januszon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I red all the posts and all info with great interest, my problem is similar but different.
I have to install Windows 2000 on new Laptop which came with Vista. ( I have quite expensive program which runs only no NT and Windows 2000, don't want to spend big $$ to buy upgrade to Vista !).
I already created free partition using Vista "shrink" function, but after I put Windows 2000 installation disk in DVD I'm getting message that this CD is from older version of Windows and Setup function is
disabled. I can not proceed with Windows 2000 installations.

I will appreciate any help..

Thank you very much,

Januszon