Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word 200 Error

• Please log in to reply

Jonos1

Jonos1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I'm running a home PC with different members of the family set up with their own accounts - WinXPPro. Office has been working fine, but now Word will not let anyone other than an administrator use it. It comes up with the error message: "An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Please run Setup and select "Repair" to restore this application."

Have done this and have also uninstalled and reinstalled. We have Symantec Systemworks 2005 Premier installed, but have removed that and reinstalled. Doesn't work with it or without it. Have also tried deleting out all copies of Normal.dot, but this doesn't work either.

The strange thing is that if I run winword.exe for non-administrators from Start - Run... it works fine, but the shortcuts don't seem to work.

Any help would be great!

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You can try and recreate the shorcut for word manually & use it instead the one isn't working.

Jonos1

Jonos1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, but have already tried that and it didn't work. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't though.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Don't have much experience in xp pro, so this is kind of a guess. In Win2k, shortcuts created by administrator have security setting that keeps other level users from using them unless the setting is changed manually. check the shortcut and see if there is a security setting that you can configure.