Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer can't start

• Please log in to reply

FireR

FireR

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer freezes. keyboard, mouse, no repsonses.
I turn it off and when I try to restart it, only the light, and fan comes on. The monitor doesn't recieve a signal.
After a day of many tries, the computer works again, but only the fail with the same problem after an hour.

I have tried many things, and from other sources there might be a RAM or video card problem?

Any help is useful.
Thank you

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi FireR,

It actually sounds like an overheating issue. When delicate components of a computer get hot, they stop functioning. The most common components that overheat are the processor and the video card. First, open your computer tower and blow all the dust out of the computer. This can be done with a can of compressed air, an air compressor (my personal favorite), or a vacuum on reverse. Be careful not to use a vacuum to suck the dust away, as static electricity can damage the components of the computer.
You should also make sure that your computer isn't in a spot where it can get hot easily. Often, people put computers in cabinets or under a desk, and they can't ventilate properly. On that note, also make sure that nothing is blocking any fans or exhaust ports. This can also impede airflow, which makes the delicate components get hot.

If these steps don't fix your problem, it may be a power supply issue. Have you made any major hardware changes to your computer since you bought it? A bigger video card, more RAM, or other changes can draw more power from the power supply, and the power supply can't keep up with the demand, so it shuts off.

Good luck!

FireR

FireR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Of all the things, i've never thought of it being overheated.
Well I've tried turning it on when its been off for a while.
Nothing happens.
Dusting is I did first, so that didn't help.
Its be 24hrs since the last time it worked.

Well I did change the monitor, but thats about it.
A smaller flat screen which has the energy saving logo, so I doubt thats the problem.
I tried removing external items such as printers(has its own power), mouse, keyboard, speakers etc..
Nothing works.

Thanks for the advice though.

Thezig

Thezig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I think that you are going to have to get your hands dirty!

Open up case and clean it out using compressed air, outside with a shopvac that as blowing attachment works well if it is really bad.
reseat video card and try again. If nothing reseat ram and all other components and try again maybe only putting in one stick if you have multiples.
If still nothing I would be looking for a power supply to try.

If it does come on with the side off put your finger on the heatsink. it should get rather warm but not so hot that you can't touch it. Also make sure all fans are running why you are there.

good luck

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Am I understanding you correctly... you're computer doesn't start up at all now?

FireR

FireR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It starts up, but only with fan, and lights.
Cd-rom drive flashes once too (like normal)

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Take out your hard drive and try booting into safe mode on another pc. Safe mode should load generic drivers to let you use the drive on another pc. If it works than you can rule the hard drive out. I just had a drive die on me the other day. I had to buy a 500GB external usb drive just to backup my stuff before it went kaput!

Edited by superstar, 27 November 2007 - 02:05 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
FireR,

What kind of computer do you have? What color is the power light on the computer? On the monitor?
Go ahead and look on your power supply for a Built-In Self Test. If your power supply does have BIST, there will be a small LED and small button on the power supply, most likely on the back. Press and hold that button and see if the LED lights up. Does it?