Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hey guys,

I need help ASAP with this one if possible. I am upgrading my gaming copmuter's RAM to 4 GB's. Now I need this quickly because today is my cousins last day working here and he can get it for me with a good discount.

My PC is a custom one from CyberPower and this is what I have about the current RAM I have.

(Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

I also know its A - Data because its red, and I have looked inside.

Also this is what Crucial said about my PC.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192MB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Available Memory Slots: 2
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz Model 15, Stepping 6
CPU Speed: 2395 MHz
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Now he said could get me the following for about 20 dollars with his discount. What do you guys think?

2GB KIT, (2X1GB), DDR2, XMS2-6400 2x240 DIMM, 5-5-5-18, 64Mx8 DRAMs, DHX Technology CORSAIR

Thanks,

MoNsTeR

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey guys,

I need help ASAP with this one if possible. I am upgrading my gaming copmuter's RAM to 4 GB's. Now I need this quickly because today is my cousins last day working here and he can get it for me with a good discount.

My PC is a custom one from CyberPower and this is what I have about the current RAM I have.

(Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

I also know its A - Data because its red, and I have looked inside.

Also this is what Crucial said about my PC.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192MB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Available Memory Slots: 2
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz Model 15, Stepping 6
CPU Speed: 2395 MHz
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Now he said could get me the following for about 20 dollars with his discount. What do you guys think?

2GB KIT, (2X1GB), DDR2, XMS2-6400 2x240 DIMM, 5-5-5-18, 64Mx8 DRAMs, DHX Technology CORSAIR

Thanks,

MoNsTeR

Corsair is good memory and you cannot beat that price for it. I would go for it.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I know there has been some talk about this and currently I am not to sure about it, but Windows XP only supports [x] amount of memory. Keep that in mind to when you upgrading.
I've always liked Corsair.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I know there has been some talk about this and currently I am not to sure about it, but Windows XP only supports [x] amount of memory. Keep that in mind to when you upgrading.
I've always liked Corsair.

Its 32bit XP and 32bit Vista that you run into that problem. If you get a 64 bit operating system it will see all 4gb of your ram in windows.

On 32bit it will only show up as 3gb-3.5gb depending on different variables like, what video card you are running and what motherboard you have.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Ok,

wasn't 100% sure but I heard of that because apparently you need 4GB of ram to fully use the "Aero" display in Vista...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thats incorrect, while areo requires more RAM for smooth operation in vista, anything 2GB and over will run it fine. In many cases 1GB will do, but once you open many windows you'll begin to notice lagg.

Wow, 20$, go for it!
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The timings on those are kind of bleh, see if you can't get some with tighter timings such as 4-4-4-12. You can get DDR2-800 RAM on Newegg with these timings for about $35.

Thezig

Thezig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Agree with Stettybet0 timings are not the greatest always have had goodluck with G.Skill... But for that price go for it. Have found in vista the more the merrier When it comes to ram even though if you put in 4g it will probably only recognize 3.5. Would still do it though if you are not planning to overclock.... If you are it will get a little more tricky and might have to adjust timing! Good luck

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Better timing I would recommend but for $20 I would go for it, then again thanks to James I found out my memory is on sale for $30 dollars which I would recommend over that.

Soorena

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thanks everyone for the fast reply, but they happened to be sold out and I missed out. :)

But anyways I still want to upgrade, and I don't wanna spend more than 50 bucks, but 40 is better. Kinda short on money and will be for some time.

So what are the best you guys can recommend for me that would work well with my PC and other RAM, link is appreciative!

Thanks again for all your responses!

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 25 November 2007 - 08:15 PM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 800MHz 2GB (PC6400) Single Module $35 after $20MIR

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-15 ATI CrossFire Certified Dual Channel Kit Retail OCZ2P800R22GK

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you have ADATA ram, then I personally would try and grab another matched set of sticks from the same model series, to keep things simple. I prefer not to mix/match RAM sticks.

EDIT: This looks like it:
http://shop3.outpost...product/5156716

Edited by troy, 26 November 2007 - 03:42 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thanks guys!

I will look into those, and any others before I purchase?