Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista x64 and the joys of Windows Media player DRM!

• Please log in to reply

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
hello

i am currently trying to play DRM enabled content on my computer (content which i should be allowed to watch) and its not working

it asks me to upgrade, but when i click upgrade it just simply says that "There is a problem downloading media
usage rights".

i am currently running Indiv Version: 2.5.0.0

i know this is not the best version to be running, but i can't find a way to upgrade it

also i have not activated windows vista yet (is that necessary in order to use DRM media?)

thanks

ry

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Without claiming to know for sure, but based on what I've managed to find out from the four corners of the WWW, I reckon you need to activate Vista before DRM will function properly. Most Vista users will never encounter this same problem since by far the bulk of Vista sales are pre-installed and pre-activated. That's why I think it's an activation issue. AS with XP, Vista is 'hard coded' to run in 'reduced functionality' mode after a set amount of time, until it's successfully activated.

Which leads to me another, possibly related issue. Since you haven't yet activated Vista I'm assuming it's a self-installed copy on a PC you already own. I do know that Vista has very exacting requirements regarding the video-card, sound-card and several other system components. If any of these do not meet Microsoft's own criteria for being wholly 'vista compatible' (by their definition of the term) you will have problems with the playback of DRM-protected content.

Edited by pip22, 26 November 2007 - 10:23 AM.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
activated vista about 2 hours after posting, but still no luck!

anyone got any ideas? have tried manually resetting the DRM folder (in vista x64) but i can't find it, have followed the folder given in the registry but still no luck!

ry

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
What version of Vista do you have? (Home, Premium, or ?)

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
business

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I have Vista Business 32 bit... WMP11 is not a feature with this OS. You can, however download K-Lite Codecs
http://filehippo.com...ite_codec_pack/

And Media Player Classic:
http://filehippo.com...player_classic/

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
yeah i would like to continue using WMP11 though!

do you know what might be stopping me being able to view my DRM folder (i'm trying to do a manual reset of the codecs and DRM's) i've checked the registry value and it points me to a folder that isn't there (i have hidden folders turned on!)

thanks

ry

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Did you try this first? http://filehippo.com...ite_codec_pack/
My WMP11 now plays all media

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
do select all options when installing?

ry

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
this did not solve my problem

this merely installed codecs, whereas the problem i am having is to do with DRM

please advise

regards

ry

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You might check out this Media Player....make sure it's compatible with 64bit
http://www.avsmedia....ayer/index.aspx

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
does it support DRM?

will it let me watch online content?

ry

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Ryan_88, did you look at the information in the link I gave you? Did you go any further (research), than to ask me your question? :)