Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Safe Mode won't work

• Please log in to reply

Nishinoran

Nishinoran

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had turned off my monitor and when I came back and turned it on it told me that a driver had stopped working, and to restart, so I held the button on my computer and restarted, but I can't get back to any sort GUI anymore.

I need to get files off before I reboot, safe mode is not working, it starts me out in a screen with 3 different safe mode options, 1 option to start using last successful boot options, and to start normally.

It could be fixed if I could manage to get my partition of my harddrive to work properly, but for some reason it is skipping asking me whether I want it to only replace system files, or reboot the entire computer.

I have a Windows 98 CD, and I've tried booting off of it, but the most I've managed to get is a command prompt, and for some reason I can't manage to get to my main drive inside the computer through that prompt to copy the files I need.

I have already attempted to pull the harddrive out and connect it to other computers, the problem is that we have no harddrive cases to connect it with firewire that are the right size, and the cables inside the other computer are the wrong size to plug it in directly.

Anything I haven't tried?

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Please see wannabe1's second post in this thread:
http://www.geekstogo...rt-t176904.html

Nishinoran

Nishinoran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did it, it told me that it had fixed one or more errors, but when I tried to restart it had the same problem, I then realized that I had had it do it to the external harddrive, so I disconnected and there was only 1 option now, drive I:, I did that one, and it didn't change anything, so is there something else I can try?

Edited by Nishinoran, 25 November 2007 - 08:29 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
System Restore from the Recovery Console:
http://forums.cclonl...read.php?t=1183

Nishinoran

Nishinoran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I attempted to do it but it said that there was no command, I booted off the CD, got into the recovery console, and selected a harddrive called H:\MiniNT. I'm not sure if that's the problem, but maybe it's having trouble reading my HD whenever I run the Recovery Console.

Here's something else: When the driver crashed, the computer popped up a windows saying the display driver had failed. Does that help at all?

Edited by Nishinoran, 26 November 2007 - 04:04 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I do not know your drive/partition setup, but you will need to select your system partiton. For most of us that is C:\ That is where the System Restore files are stored.

Beginning to look like time for a 'Repair' install:
http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Nishinoran

Nishinoran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The problem is, I don't have my CD Key for windows, and I can't use a program to find it at the moment.. Will I be able to install it without the key?

EDIT:
I tried to start, but it immediately told me:
"Setup cannot find the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3."

Edited by Nishinoran, 26 November 2007 - 04:55 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Well you've gotten into a bit of a corner. Non-working CD. No Key code.
Malfunctioning Recovery Console. (Are you sure about that?)

Looks like it's time to take it to the shop.
Not Best Buy or any other big chain!!

Nishinoran

Nishinoran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh wait, I just looked it up, my CD Key is on the side of my computer, but still don't have a real CD, only the one linked to in that other topic, will that one work? I was using that when I got the no EULA error.

Edited by Nishinoran, 26 November 2007 - 05:09 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Borrow an authentic XP CD of the same version and service pack as your install, and use it to Repair Install.(Carefully follow the instructions in the links I provided.) Enter your own key code when asked. It will work fine. You will need to reapply all updates

The other CD is just a mini frisbee.
Could double as a drink coaster or Christmas decoration.

Nishinoran

Nishinoran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
NVM, fixed it.

I found out why when I attempted to make my Gateway's harddrive a slave drive to the HP's drive why it didn't work, I was plugging in two power cables into the harddrive, not a power and a data cable.

So I ended up pulling a cord out of my Gateway and sticking it in the HP so I could read the drive, and as soon as I booted up the HP with the drive in there, it immediately ran a diagnostic and fixed the drive.

Thanks anyone who helped.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Glad you got it sorted.