Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer causes boot failure

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I chose this forum, but it would be just as fitting in the OS forum. In the interest of brevity, I will leave out much of the aggravation I experienced in getting to the root (pun inended) of the problem.

My Win/XP system suddenly started to halt during the boot process; in safe mode as well. I isolated it to the printer. When I disconnect the printer USB cable from the system, it boots normally. What can I do to regain the use of my printer? No system changes have been made in some time.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try re-installing the printer driver from the printer CD. It may be a corrupted driver.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Thanks for your response, pip22. I'll try that when I have time.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Pip,
Re-installing has resolved the boot problem. Unfortunately, the situation has reverted back to the way it was immediately before I started experiencing the boot problem. When Windows comes up, the printer is offline (little "x" through the icon on the task bar) and the system runs at 100% cpu utilization. When (I'm) idle, the task manager varies between 2 and 3 percent and "system" varies between 97 and 98 percent. I can't operate like this, but for purposes of troublshooting, I can leave it so while we exhaust any ideas you may have.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 13 December 2007 - 11:49 AM.

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Vinny, try plugging the printer into one of the other USB ports... like a front port vice the rear.

Are you running SP2?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download Process Explorer from Sysinternals.com. Extract the zipped file. Expand all the items and report, under System, or anywhere else, which processes are heavy consumers of CPU resources.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Dngrsone,
I had already tried using a front port back when it wasn't booting. Windows came up, but it had this same symptom--100% cpu util.

Yes, I'm running SP2.

Skeptic,
As I said, "system" is basically consuming all the cpu. Will Process Explorer be of any help?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are many processes running under System. Process explorer will show all of them and will enable much better resolution.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Skeptic,
I'm looking at the Process Explorer window but I'm skeptical. :) I don't see anything at all that looks informative. You can either give me some guidance or I can post a screen shot.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quote from a previous post: .... When (I'm) idle, the task manager varies between 2 and 3 percent and "system" varies between 97 and 98 percent. I can't operate like this, but for purposes of troublshooting, I can leave it so while we exhaust any ideas you may have."

I refer to the above quotation. You mentioned that "System" varies between 97-98%. Or were you mistaking System Idle Process to System? If you didn't please look at System Idle Process. What value do you see under the CPU coloumn? Usually it varies, so give us an average figure of about 10 seconds of looking at it when the computer is idling. Under normal conditions it should be over 95%. If it's there then there are no problematic processes. If it's below that please Expand (click the + sign) in System Idle Process, then expand System. A whole list of processes will show up. Please write down if there is any of them that under CPU shows significant value.

Advertisements

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
By "system", I meant "system". The only item under "system" that shows any cpu usage is "services", and it only shows a constant 2-3%.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Are we plumb out of ideas?

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, I haven't heard of this kind of issue in some time (like two years), but of course that doesn't mean it isn't still out there.

Try going into your computers BIOS, check for settings relating to USB such as Boot from USB device high on the list or BIOS Plug and Play.

Does the printer work if you boot the machine up first then plug it into the USB port?

Do other USB devices work properly?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I already checked the BIOS and it's fine.

If I plug the printer in after boot-up, the system completely freezes the second I plug it in.

Other USB devices work properly--speakers and microphone.

It's bizarre enough, but for this to happen suddenly with no warning and no significant changes. <scratches head>

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sounds like the problem is the printer, then.

Have you managed to get it to work on another computer or with an alternate OS?