Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harry Potter Order of Phoenix install issues

• Please log in to reply

Veldomert666

Veldomert666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok so I just bought the fifth harry potter game today. I pop it into my windows vista laptop and go to install it. I enter the activation code no problem. Click next. the user agreement pops up and all it says is the letter "B" I click accept. And then it tells me I don't have a recent enough directx installed. So I go to the microsoft website and download the directx 10. It still gave me the same error message. I tried downloading it again and also a couple other direct thigs and nothing worked. I even tried right clicking on the game going into it and clicking on the divx folder. and then running the directx setup that was in there and that didn't work. I tried copying Dsetup.dll and pasting it in the system 32 folder and that didn't work either. So I'm completely out of ideas as to what to do to get the install to work. I tried running the install on another computer that had xp and the user agreement showed up and so I assume it will work on there. But as my only computer has vista I'm still stuck... help please?

note: the game says it's compatible for vista on the box it came in

Edited by Veldomert666, 25 November 2007 - 08:34 PM.

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
my guess

cheap- o (no offense) game that was make for the sole purpose of money. the game was SO cheap (how cheap was it?) it was so cheap it was developed for only dx9 and dx10 wont work

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Veldomert666,

I need more information about your DirectX10 settings and your hardware configuration. Let's setup a DirectX diagnostic file we can look at.
Go to Start > Command Prompt (Windows + R) and in the Run dialog box, type in dxdiag and press Enter. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Down at the bottom of the dialog box, press the Save All Information button. This will create a file called dxdiag.txt on your desktop. Return to the forum and attach that file to a post in this topic so we can look at important information. This will greatly help us help you! Thanks!

Edited by The Admiral, 26 November 2007 - 07:10 PM.

Veldomert666

Veldomert666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
alright I'm attaching it to this post

Oh I was browsing the site and came across that game compatibility test thing and tried it and it said the problem was with my video card? So maybe it's not the directx then? If so what can I do?

Attached Files

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well Veldomert666, I see that you have a Toshiba Satellite A205 with 2 GB of RAM and an integrated Intel GMA 950 miraculously running DirectX 10. Sadly, your video card (the GMA 950) is not able to handle the load required by the game, so the game won't start. Unfortunately, there is no way to upgrade the graphics on a laptop, no matter what you do. The only way to upgrade the graphics is to upgrade the computer (i.e. get a new one!). I learned this the hard way after trying to run Tabula Rasa on my GMA 950. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 (which you should look at, if you decide to upgrade your laptop) with 3 GB of RAM, a Core 2 Duo T7100 processor, and an Nvidia 8600M GT GPU, which is more than enough to run Tabula Rasa and Order of the Phoenix. All for $1200 (of course, with a company discount and coupons.) (And I'm not trying to advertise for Dell... this is just what I got.)
Don't shoot the messenger. :)

Veldomert666

Veldomert666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok then one last question. If I downgraded to windows XP would I lose all the info already on my computer? As in for example say I got a report on microsoft word. Would I need to reload it on if I downgrade to XP?