Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a .com name

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Right i know you can register with a company to own the thisname.com for a year for so much but is it possiable to buy a name so you own it for ever or untill you sell it?

Advertisements

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hi there!!

There is nothing such as owning for ever..

PowWeb has some deals where in you can get the domain name for 2 years and then get 14 months for free - which is quite a long time.

Sadly enough they do not have any system where you can own the domain name forever as such

hope this helps

:tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
10 years is the maximum length allowedby ICANN (the ruling body), and you'll have to pay the yearly fee X 10 (i.e. $8.95 X 10 = $89.50).

If someone offers you a longer term, it's a scam.

pytis

pytis

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
nerwork solutions has a deal for 100 years for 900$-something

Tech_Writer

Tech_Writer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I believe that register.com gives you the option to automatically renew your domain (I assume that other domain services do that too). In my case, once the two years are up, register.com will automatically renew it for me and just charge it to my credit card. Then I don't have to worry about losing the domain name. I think mine is up for renewal next month, so I'll find out if it really works.