Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Issues

• Please log in to reply

Gunz

Gunz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I play video games, mostly counter-strike 1.6. but this problem happens with any game ive tried. Anywhere from battlefield to warcraft. I will have a solid frame rate and no lag at all. Everything will be cool. Then out of the blue i will get a drop to about 9-13 fps. This will last for a few seconds then it will shoot back up to normal. This happens no matter what im doing or playing. I never had this problem with the stock 512mb of ram my computer came with. I wasent happy with it when i bought it so i installed two 1gb sticks that crucial said my pc could handle. Then thats when the problems started. I tried everything from reloading windows to using diffrent drivers for graphics and such.

I finally ran memtest on my ram with both sticks installed and at around 80 percent on the first test my computer just shut down. With no errors reported. Then i ran them individually. 1 stick at a time installed and still both at the same point in memtest the computer just shut down. I put in my 512 stick the computer came with and ran memtest. Nothing failed and never shut down. And my fps problem was gone. But i cant stand only 512mb of ram becuase of startup time and loadtime and such.

Are both of my 1gb stick bad? There faster speed than the one that came with the pc.

this is the ram i bought CORSAIR2GB (2 x 1GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory Model VS2GSDSKIT667D2 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145157

i purchased from newegg.
Is it possible that my computer just is not configured right for this ram and settings need to be changed? I find it odd that both sticks would fail at the same place.

I have an acer aspire 5100
Amd Turion 64 MK2 2.0ghz
Radeon Xpress 1100 graphics card
Windows XP

help please? lol

thanks everyone

Edited by Gunz, 26 November 2007 - 02:55 PM.

Advertisements

Gunz

Gunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Anyone??

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
So crucial said it should work on your pc or did you just use their system scanner?

Anyway from the sounds of it your computer is being picky about the memory that you bought. Some machines wont run right with certain brands/types of memory. I would try another brand of memory like Crucial so you know it will work or your money back. They are more expensive though I know or you can try a different set of ram from newegg.

Edited by jrm20, 27 November 2007 - 03:49 PM.

Gunz

Gunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
My problem is money. I dont have a lot of it and take what i can get when i can get it. Ive never owned an up to date pc.. theres nothing i can do to get this thing to run better? I mean if it runs source games at 50 fps most of the time. Why not all of the time? why does it have to drop to 9 fps.