Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

e-mail & update errors after malware removal

• Please log in to reply

tgassen

tgassen

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I believe I have removed Zlob trojan malware, but now I get a "0x800CCC13 cannot connect to network" error when trying to send mail to an outgoing mail server. All other Web browsing and incoming e-mail works normally. I get this error in both Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express.

I've tried reloading the TCP/IP stack, repair installs of XP and Outlook 2003, all without changing the error. Even stranger -- @1 out of every 10 times the outgoing e-mail actually sends, though it gives me the error window.

Also, I cannot install Window updates, and I cannot update my IE6 to install IE 7. (IE actually reverted to IE6 from IE7 after the malware was removed!)

Please, is there anyone here who can help me with this issue? THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regarding the email error: Check in outlook express (in principle the same applies to Outlook) Tools > accounts > properties > server. Check the box My Server Requires Authentication. Also, in the same window, make sure that Outgoing Mail (SMTP) seetings are set correctly.

Regarding the updates: Download Dial-a-Fix from the link in my list of programs below, unzip the folder and click on dial-a-fix.exe. Check Fix Window Updates and click Go.

Edited by The Skeptic, 26 November 2007 - 05:11 AM.

tgassen

tgassen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
MANY thanks for taking the time to read my post and to respond with help. THANK YOU! I believe I have resolved the outgoing mail issue by deleting some old dll registry listings with CCleaner. But stay tuned -- I thought this was fixed before, and then the problem became intermittent.

As for Dial-A-Fix, it certainly did repair the Windows update connection and allowed all of the many Windows updates and IE7 to be installed, and "fixed" the Windows Security Ceneter issues I has as well. Windows in general is now operating MUCH better.

I thought I had removed all traces of the virus infection that caused all of this, but a DNSChanger warning popped up again before all these fixes -- so we'll see if it is truly removed. If so, I'll be back in the malware forum soon, lol.

In any case, thank you for helping me finally make progress.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My pleasure.