Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you take vista off a new computer?

• Please log in to reply

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I'm just wondering if you can buy a new computer that has vista, yet not use it?
Our programs at work will not allow the vista settings. Nor the latest version of IE.
I was jw if there is a way to get rid of it, if I got a new computer and it had vista.
It's nearly impossible now to get a new computer w/o this :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can either remove Vista completely and replace it with a different version, or leave it on and install the other version alongside it (dual boot). However, all the device drivers on a new PC are for Vista. If you put XP on it, you'll need XP drivers for the graphics and sound devices to work. PC manufacturers usually only put drivers on their website for the version of Windows which that particular PC model was pre-installed with -- so getting XP drivers for a Vista machine could prove difficult as many computers are fitted with custom-made components which require custom-made drivers.

But removing Vista and getting XP to replace it has certainly been done already, many times, as has the dual-boot option.

If you want to install XP on a new PC however, you'll need to buy a copy unless you have a retail boxed copy laying around that's not currently installed anywhere else. You can only have one copy of Windows installed on one machine at any one time unless you have a volume licence from Microsoft.

Edited by pip22, 26 November 2007 - 04:30 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
some of the new hp's will not work with xp because of driver issue's I.E. there are NO drivers for the basic hardware. please make sure that you have recovery disk if you format the hdd that has vista on it. you can run virtual machine with vista (my boss runs xp in virtual machine with vista because novel 5.0 will not work with vista)