Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

red dots/lines on the screen and the speed of the PC

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

Please would you advice me on these problems:
- In the last few weeks my screen starts to showing weird red horizontal dots (randomly anywhere and everywhere) and in few least few days it becomes very frequent (every time pc is switched on) – and after few minutes started with few red dots and in a sec or so is spread for all screen and… have to restart the pc…
- checked for any viruses, spyware, … - everything is fine…
- checked for the driver updates – it seems that I have latest driver…
- my system is up-to-date…
- one more important thing: few weeks ago I have changed the power unit as the old one burned – after the installation of new one this problem becomes more often than before… so, just to clarify, the problem was before but not so frequent – maybe once in 10 days or so, and only when had a lot of programs opened… so it can be
- … and this leads to next question which is that now I have feeling that pc is working slower then before – this is easy to spot as, lets say, have something on screen (IE for example) and wanted to switch to desktop screen – than it needs like 2 sec for IE screen to “clean” itself (from top to the bottom of the screen) – so something is very weird.
- few years ago you guys help me to sort out some similar issues, and if I can remember, there was something to tweak in catalyst control center, something with “time” in windows and/or it was something else, something with ram and dump, and with the frequency of screen… (I am trying to find this post, but maybe it is too old, so cant find it…)

So, in a few words: the problem is with the red lines on the screen (which after few sec or min becomes covers more-or-less all screen) and with the speed of the pc.

I will appreciate any help… I will be online so can reply on any suggestion/advice immediately…

Thank you. Regards,

Den

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Sorry guys – here is the addition to my previous post, which can maybe narrow the problem: when moving the mouse, the cursor seems to have a lag moving over the screen… - it seems that somehow “refresh” on the screen is very slow…

Regards. Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Run the Everest again and here are the some things which I don’t know what they mean, but I presume you will be able to use it for the diagnostic of the problem:
1. under Motherboard > Chipset I have three devices: North Bridge: Uli/Ali M1689, North Bridge: AMD Hammer IMC and South Bridge: Uli/Ali M1563; under the North Bridge: Ali/Ali M1689 it say under the “problem and suggestion” that is “AGP is disabled. This may cause performance penalty” – please what is this?

Regards,
Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Addition to above results from everest: under Computer > DMI say warning: “Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed” – (?)

…and from device manager: under SCSI and RAID controllers, I have just one thingy “Mass Storage Controller” which is marked with big red X… other drivers are fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Den

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I remember I had the same kind of problem a year ago. It occurred wit' the PC game Doom 3. Y'know it?

There were red pixel dots (and other coloured pixel dots) everywhere. I had ATI graphics card, the 9800 XT, quite a nice little card to have. However, ATI cards seem to have problems runnin' certain processes.

I was informed that this red dots/lines are caused by video card overheatin'. Should you obtain some coolant hardware for your PC, especially if somethin' has burned out in your PC. I also suggest to check your CPU's surrondings, one of those condensers might want to hatch (happened to me).

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
den01,

What is the make and model of your computer if it is custom built just say custom.