Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ME!

• Please log in to reply

lee1711

lee1711

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys erm building my own computer for the first time! got everything except an operating system! Which should i get? XP or Vista? OEM or retail? where should i get it? many aspects are confusing me such as 32bit computing and 64 bit cimputing?????????????????? i will very much appreciatate any help given to me on this subject!!

Thanks guys!

Advertisements

MadMama

MadMama

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi guys erm building my own computer for the first time! got everything except an operating system! Which should i get? XP or Vista? OEM or retail? where should i get it? many aspects are confusing me such as 32bit computing and 64 bit cimputing?????????????????? i will very much appreciatate any help given to me on this subject!!

Thanks guys!

Whether you want XP or Vista is going to depend on what software you run. Alot of stuff wont take on Vista yet.
OEM or retail? Whats the diff. Windows is Windows is Windows, all made by MS, no matter where you buy it.
This article might help explain 32bit vs 64bit. http://news.softpedi...4bit-1349.shtml
Good luck with your build.

Edited by MadMama, 26 November 2007 - 11:37 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

OEM or retail? Whats the diff. Windows is Windows is Windows, all made by MS, no matter where you buy it

this is not the case....the difference is in the licensing...OEM copies are REQUIRED to be sold with "qualifying hardware"...which used to be a loose deffinition...but MS is cracking down on that (especially with vista)....and the license is tied to that hardware (i.e. you replace that qualifying piece of hardware...and you're now a pirate) OEM versions are meant for system builders and companies that sell computers not for the end user....so the licensing is different..

retail versions do not have this restriction

MadMama

MadMama

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Further it should be understood that a "Full Retail" version can be removed from one computer and installed on another. The OEM version belongs to the machine. The retail version belongs to you. That's why the retail version is always more expensive--extra value.