Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win/XP stops during boot process

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I apologise that I already posted this in the peripherals forum, but it got no replies there. In the interest of brevity, I will leave out much of the aggravation I experienced in getting to the root (pun inended) of the problem.

My Win/XP system suddenly started to halt during the boot process; in safe mode as well. I isolated it to the printer. When I disconnect the printer USB cable from the system, it boots normally. What can I do to regain the use of my printer? No system changes have been made in some time.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi vinny_the_hack...

Take a look in the BIOS setup and see if you can disable the Boot from USB option.

wannabe1

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Thanks for your reply, wannabe1.

There is no "boot from usb" option that I can see. Under "boot", I see

CDROM
removeable devices
floppy
hard drives
network

What I left out in my description of the problem is that for several weeks prior to the boot issue, XP occasionally complained that it could not detect a USB device (my printer). Randomly, it would suddenly come online.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The "Removable Devices" would be the USB.

Open Device Manager and expand (click +) Universal Serial Bus controllers. Locate each USB Root Hub, right click on it, and choose "Uninstall"...accept the changes. Reboot and let Windows reinstall the hubs. Reboot again, then install (or connect) the printer and make sure that it installs and works. Reboot again...does it still hang?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Wannabe,

The duplicate of this problem in the peripherals section had Pip asking me to re-install the driver, which I just did today. My response to him was:

Re-installing has resolved the boot problem. Unfortunately, the situation has reverted back to the way it was immediately before I started experiencing the boot problem. When Windows comes up, the printer is offline (little "x" through the icon on the task bar) and the system runs at 100% cpu utilization. When (I'm) idle, the task manager varies between 2 and 3 percent and "system" varies between 97 and 98 percent. I can't operate like this, but for purposes of troubleshooting, I can leave it so while we exhaust any ideas you may have.

We have several options here:

a) Abandon this thread and pursue the other one.

b) Abandon the other thread and pursue this one.

c) Continue working on both fronts.

Which do you want to do? Given the new circumstance, do you think your last suggestion is still relevant and that I should do it?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I forgot there was another option. Abandon both threads. :)