Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External 500GB Maxtor Hard Drive connect to router?

• Please log in to reply

tha5150

tha5150

• Pip
  • 3 posts
first off, im new here. so hello new friends.

the other day i bought a Maxtor 500gb external and thought it would be nice to be able to access it via ftp or some relevant way without having it conneced to my Laptop directly. i have only this 1 Laptop that i bring to and from home where the HD resides. is there a possibility to connect it to my wireless router directly and access it when i am away? or even to have it connected to the router and access it without always having to plug it in when i get home. i have to stay in my computer room when i am downloading a big file and cant disconnect my HD, obviously and walk around the house.
i am told i need a network card or something similar in order to make this work. but i have my doubts how much truth that holds. i am sure there is a simple solution to this.

by the way, i have no usb port on my router, nor do i have an ethernet port on my external HD.

thanks to all.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you'd need to get something like this...this one is also a print server...so you can hook up a USB printer to it as well

tha5150

tha5150

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
wow, thanks for the fast response. all i am looking for is something i can use with the hard drive. i have no printer or anything like that, so do you think there is something cheaper that i could get without all the extras? something i was reading on another forum caught my eye. this guy wanted to start a download and shut his pc off and have it still downloading. this isnt possible is it?

say i have a download that is going to take an hour but i have to leave right now and bring my laptop. is there a way to keep that download going? i think this is a bit far fetched, but a [bleep] of a good idea.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

this guy wanted to start a download and shut his pc off and have it still downloading. this isnt possible is it?

say i have a download that is going to take an hour but i have to leave right now and bring my laptop. is there a way to keep that download going? i think this is a bit far fetched, but a [bleep] of a good idea.

it is a great idea...but not possible...you've got to have something to initiate and maintain the connection...and a hard drive won't do that...

and as to the "cheaper"...not that i've seen...but search "NAS server" and see what you can find...the "print server" function of that NAS server doesn't actually add much to the price if any

tha5150

tha5150

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you for your help. i will let you know what i find. i am leaving work right now and will check online for prices and post best solution.

this was what i thought i would have to end up doing anyway.

do you think i would be better off paying an additional ammount for an external with this ability? i bought this one for 140 from compusa on black friday. . :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...it's possible? i would imagine that you'd get MUCH faster transfer speeds with a drive built to be a NAS instead of stacking one of these NAS servers onto an existing drive.