Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sonic DVD player keeps prompting to install

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have had my computer for over a year, an HP with XP Media Center 2005, and have had no problems with the compatibility of purchasing music from Sony Connect. By that I mean that I can buy music from Sony, but use the Media center to play it...until now.

Two months ago when I used the Sony site, it worked fine, but when I logged into their site again, they told me I had too many computers authorized. So I emailed them and took off the old unused ones I apparently didn't log off from before I got rid of them. Anyway, I got it straightened out, and purchased another song.

I know you have nothing to do with this Sony website, but this is the only change I can think of I did that started the problem I am asking about. After getting this last song, I get a constant prompt from Sonic My DVD Player to install it. It must be software that came with my computer, but it has never bothered me in the past by popping up constantly. So there must be a conflict in settings...which I never knowingly changed. I want to use Windows to play dvd's and rip music, not the Sonic program. To get rid of it, I did a system restore, but I'd like to know what happened, so it won't bother me again in the future. I could go to "My Music" and play songs from my library without it opening up the Sony Store everytime. Now I select a song, and it opens up the Sony site everytime, and it did not do that before.

I hope I have explained this well enough, because I would like to know what is wrong before I attempt to use the Sony Connect Music site again. Any advice will be appreciated..

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I think you might've messed around with the Open With.. option. You could've accidently set the default program to open those stuff you buy online to the Sonic My DVD Player, and it might've got corrupt during your last uses, making it bring up the backup installer, prompting you to install it again.

~Kelvin

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
How do I go about changing those settings? I Googled how to re-set to Windows being my main player, but it didn't work, so I am a little afraid to mess with it again.

The instructions weren't all that clear, so if you could give me any tips, please do.

Thanks

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh. My sincere apologies for being so brief.

First, find a video in the video format you encounter problems with. Let's say it's .wma.

Right click the .wma file, select Open With, and select Choose Program. A window will pop up, displaying something like this:

Posted Image

Choose the media player you want to use, and check 'Always use this program to open this kind of file'. After doing so, press OK, and your clip/movie will pop up in the program you selected. Hope this helps. =)

~Kelvin