Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp bootup is freezing

• Please log in to reply

dubs01

dubs01

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, this is my first post on this site....

I have a question regarding a freezing bootup. I'm fixing someone's Lenovo 3000 j110, running windows xp sp2, which was working prior to thanksgiving, but when they returned it freezes at the "lenovo" bootup screen. I'll get the one beep indicating that all the hardware has passed POST, but when it goes to the OS bootup, it freezes, so here's what I've done thus far:

Attempted to boot from XP cd to do a repair...problem: booting from cd only leads to a blinking cursor on a blank screen or just a blank screen itself
Checked BIOS: All devices are recognized, including cd-rom drive, I even changed the bootup order to cd > floppy > hdd, etc...still no luck. Attempting f12 to specify boot device doesn't help either - simply put, I can't seem to boot from cd drive.

I tried to boot from a bootable flash drive, this had the same results as well. It was recognized in bios, set as primary boot device, f12'd, etc...leads only to a blank screen.

One exception: I was able to boot off flash drive ONCE (I repeated the procedure, but it didn't boot a 2nd time), got to the XP cd and it began to load it's setup software....then froze half way through, so I had to reboot. Haven't been able to get back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone,

dan

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Dan, and welcome to Geeks To Go!

Since it looks like you are some sort of a repair technician, I'll skip putting steps into layman's terms and hope you can do it. :)
First, back up any data your friend might want to keep. This is always the most important step in a troubleshooting scenario. You can do this by installing the HDD as a slave in another computer and pulling info from it that way. Now, can you F12 into the Lenovo Recovery Partition? If you can, run what diagnostics you can and ensure the hardware is in a working state. You can also restore the system to factory defaults from the service partition. But we'll wait on that unless we just can't get this fixed.

Edited by The Admiral, 26 November 2007 - 07:31 PM.

dubs01

dubs01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Admiral,

Looks like something in the system was corrupting/damaging the disk. I was able to put the HD from the Lenovo into another machine then chckdsk /r to fix any errors. From there I could boot up on the drive! When I put the HD back into the Lenovo, I was back to the original problem. Somehow the Lenovo system was hurting the disk, because each time I boot in the Lenovo system I have to repair the disk. So, I'm putting the user's HD into a new machine and that'll be it. woot.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Wow... that's odd. Lol well good luck coming to a resolution on this. Maybe check the RAM? lol sorry, but I'm out of ideas. I love Lenovo... haven't yet heard of this problem.