Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Home Server- Backup error

• Please log in to reply

Soultazer

Soultazer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello all!
I do not know if anyone has expertise in this matter but ill try anyway. I have 3 computers that are registered with my Windows Home Server. Two of them are Windows XP Pro and the other one is Windows Media Center Edition. The two Pro versions are backing up fine with the server but the Media version is not. It keeps telling me that: "Backup failed. Please run chkdsk /r /f..." which i have done a thousand times with no success. I went to the windows live forums and they are of no help at all! I checked my Volume Shadow Copy services and i *THINK* they are ok but they need to be checked anyway. If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated!!!

PS. I didnt know if this was the right place to put this topic haha

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I know it's late but I thought this deserves a response, especially considering the number of views this topic has received.

If you receive a message to run CHKDSK and/or the computer automatically tries to run a CHKDSK scan on bootup, then there is a problem with the hard drive. If the full CHKDSK /R doesn't resolve it, it would be worth it to consider the following:

1) Run a full manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive. If it passes in good health, a full format of the hard drive and fresh install of the operation system. This obviously would include a backup of your data first.
2) If the diagnostic fails, new hard drive.

Troy