Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

Ron_M

Ron_M

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys,

I have a ME desktop system, I have a Windows XP disk, I can install the XP system but I only have USB ports, how do I connect my ADSL internet line? will I need to purchase a board with the phone wire connection or could I use one of the USB ports and buy something to allow me to make the connection to the internet?

Your expert help would be appreciated.

Regards Ron M

Edited by Ron_M, 26 November 2007 - 08:04 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Ron M, and welcome to GeeksToGo!

In your situation you have two options:

1. Buy an ADSL modem or modem-router which has a USB port to connect to one of the ports on your PC.

Or

2. Buy a 'network card' which fits into a spare PCI slot inside your system case. These cost only a few pounds (dollars to you!).
This will allow you to connect the modem router to the PC with a CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable instead of using a USB port. This is in any case the better option since USB ports are not designed for internet connections (though they will do it) whereas network cards are.

Whichever option you choose, it will have a connector on it to enable you to plug an ADSL cable from it to your phone socket on the wall.

If you do buy a network card it's best to delay fitting it until after XP is installed. This is because XP has much better hardware detection and a larger driver library compared to Windows ME. Install XP, shut down. Fit the network card. Reboot XP. It should detect the card and install the WDL driver to make it function without any input from you.