Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im dying here

• Please log in to reply

jbaumet

jbaumet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am in the process of trying to build a PC for a home music studio and I can't get it even to power up the fan. Here is the list of components I am putting in.

Case_______________CC-4160 4U Rackmount Case
Motherboard_________GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P
CPU________________q660 Core 2 Quad 2.4 1066
Memory_____________4Gig Corsair DDR2 800
Power Supply________Thermaltake 650W power 16db
Data Drives__________3 WD Caviar 320GB SATA
video card___________GIGABYTE 8600GT 128bit 256mb
DVD Burner__________Samsung 20X DVD Burner
Case Fans___________Thermaltake 130mm 16DB fan
CPU Fan_____________Noctua 8db CPU Fan
Operating System_____Win XP x64

No matter what else I've screwed up I would imagine it would turn the fan. this is the second motherboard I have put in and absolutely no change at all. The power supply will power up when I use a paperclip to bridge the unit (according to the manual) and the fan in the power supply will run. but when I attach it to the mother board... Nothing. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Have you made sure that everything is connected and that the power supply is set to 120v not 250v?

Soorena

jbaumet

jbaumet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The power supply has an automatic voltage detection system. Everything that I know of is connected except the front usb ports on the case. I figure those are optional. Ill go to the trouble of hooking them up again when I get the rest of it working.

Edited by jbaumet, 26 November 2007 - 10:44 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Are you sure that the power button is plugged in right into the correct spot? This can be very tricky.

Soorena

jbaumet

jbaumet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
As near as i can figure it. Yes. but it is tricky

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Your pins should be set up like this:

Posted Image

Hope that helps.

Soorena

EDIT: Notice the - and + sides must be done correctly or else you may damage something.

Edited by SOORENA, 27 November 2007 - 09:37 AM.

jbaumet

jbaumet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I do have that graphic from the manual. the only difficulty I had was determining the positive negative on the connectors. they are all different colors so the old black is negative red is positive thing doesnt work since some of them have niether black or red wires.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
There is usually labels on the pins and connectors. The connector's side that has a visible little piece of metal should point to the CPU and the upper side while the other side of the pins should also be like that. Either way the mobo has labels on it and so does the connectors that say + and -. If not then please upload a pic of the situation.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Nothing will be damaged placing these in backwards, however nothing will happen as the current cannot start.
What Soorena has mentioned is a very common mistake, another is the 4 pin cable connector near the CPU.
James

jbaumet

jbaumet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Nothing will be damaged placing these in backwards, however nothing will happen as the current cannot start.
What Soorena has mentioned is a very common mistake, another is the 4 pin cable connector near the CPU.
James

Are you talking about the 4 pin CPU fan connector? Because if you are I only have a 3 pin connector on the Noctua CPU Fan. I did try to plug in the fan that came with the cpu to see if attaching the right connector would help but it didn't.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No, that would be for the fan.
I'm talking about the plug for your CPU, unless you plug this in, your CPU will not get any power and therefor you computer will not boot.
I have the exact same motherboard as you. The plug I'm talking about will be on the upper left hand corner of your motherboard, it will be a square size in shape, about the size of the your thumbs finger nail.
James

jbaumet

jbaumet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes the 12v power supply for the cpu is pluged in. This mobo and power supply have 4x2 plugs rather than the normal 2x2. the main board pwer connector is 2x12 rather than 2x10 also.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you are sure that the power button wires are installed right then the only other things I can think of are that the power button itself is malfunctioned or a wire frayed somewhere going to the powerbutton, or make sure you have your CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header and not an AUX header as some motherboards usually gigabytes will not boot up at all unless you have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header.

Check your power going to the cpu power connector again.

Might be the CPU fan header is what I think.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I just realized you trying to run this motherboard with 4 sticks.
Take 3 sticks out (doesn't matter which slot) and see if it'll boot. Do you know how to re-adjust voltages?

If the above fails, remove the CD drive, hard drive, all your RAM and see if it'll boot into BIOS.
If it won't even power up, plug in a light into the power outlet, that your trying to power your computer to verify if there is indeed any power coming out of the outlet.

Do you know if your PSU has any PCIe 8 pin cables? Can you give me a link to your PSU if you don't know.

Just switch the power button cables around, just to rule it out. Even if you think it's already right.

Lastly, do you give it a chance to boot up (or do you turn it off immediatly, at the beginning the CPU fan doesn't spin as it only turns on when the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

James

Edited by james_8970, 27 November 2007 - 03:50 PM.

jbaumet

jbaumet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok. Thanks guys. It has fired up. I honestly don't know what exactly I changed that worked but in the process of rechecking everything again it powered up. At the same time I set the speaker wires on fire (not actually fire but smoke) which seems to be isolated in impact to the wires going from the mobo to the case speaker. Ill let you all know what else I come across. I really appreciate the help because i didn't know where to turn. i happened on this site searching for articles.