Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory upgrade letdown

• Please log in to reply

SirKilo

SirKilo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i got on ebay and i purchased two 1 GB PC3200 400 MHZ DDR DIMM RAM sticks from emartbuy. im not the most experienced user, but i installed the RAM, removing my old 512 MB cards. when i tried to start windows (XP media center edition) it let me select to boot windows xp, but it took me to a blank page and did nothing. i tried to put my old ram back in and put the other two chips in the slots beside them, and it still would not work. im positive i installed the ram correctly. i had to remove the two 1 gig chips and put my old RAM back in my machine and it booted up just fine.
i did a lot of research before i bought the memory to make sure it was compatible with my system and everything seemed to check out fine! :)
im running a HP Media Center M1000 OJ466AA
my motherboard is an ASUS PTGD1-LA. the maximum HP/COMPAQ approved memory for this motherboard is 4 gigs (4x1 GB).
i have a intel pentium 4 processor 3.00 ghz.
can someone PLEEEASE tell me what is wrong with my upgrade decision and/or problem why windows will not boot up with my new RAM?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi SirKilo, and welcome to G2G!!

Please make sure that the memories are in the corresponding colours for example blue and blue or black and black and not black and blue. Have you tried putting just one stick of the new memory you purchased? One of them might be a bad stick and is causing the other one not to function as well.

Soorena