Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

clean install

• Please log in to reply

johannly

johannly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i bought a toshiba satellite laptop that came with vista, but with too much bloatware,
i want to do a clean install, but my laptop came only with recovery disk, n the recovery disk gets me again all the bloat ware in the laptop, can some one tell me what can i do,
can i use the same license that came with my laptop ?
i dnt wanna upgrade to any other vista version, my laptop came with home premium, the only i want is clean install
i dnt really wanna buy a new license , cuz well i bought the laptop , came with vista i guess i have the right to keep vista

i would appreciate any help

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The vista licence covers only the copy of vista installed on your new laptop (and it's recovery disc).
Some recovery installers allow you to choose between a full recovery including all the bundled applications, or only Windows and the drivers required for your particular laptop. Start recovery and see if you have that option.

If there is no such option then there's little you can do about it other than uninstalling the stuff you don't intend to use.
You could install a retail copy of Vista, but you will have to pay the full price for it (including the licence). However, should you go down that path you need to be aware that some devices may not work properly or even not work at all (graphics, sound, etc.) until you obtain and install the proper device driver. You can get these from the laptop manufacturer's website if they can't be extracted separately from the recovery disc. But it seems such a waste of money as you say, to buy Vista twice over for the same PC.

johannly

johannly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i dnt really wanna buy vista to install again, as i already have it, i was wondering if i can take the license
from the one i already have n get the disk with vista n install the same version, so i guess i wouldnt b
doing anything ilegal, as im only reinstalling the same version but in a clean way

do u know any solution ?