Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading RAM gone wrong, I think My Motherboard is dead! PLEEASE

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I was upgrading my Ram today for my HP Pavilion Desktop model a1312n

and I removed the original memory out (512 MB) and replaced that with two DDR 1 GIG memory chips. I turned the PC on and I heard beeping noises the second I hit the power button, so I Immediatly turned the pc back off and tried correcting the problem. I was having some trouble getting the memory chips to actually stay in place took me a while an I had left just 1 gig in the memory slot an tried booting the PC .. the PC tower starts up no beeps the keyboard flashes but goes right off, monitor doesn't turn on, mouse doesnt turn on. So i removed the 1 GIG memory and said I just want my computer back on I put the orignal memory stick in (512 MB) and the PC is doing the same thing. The tower powers up, no beeping noises but its not allowing the Monitor to power on or anything.

Ive made sure I didn't unloosing any wires in the tower and I'm still having this problem. Would this mean the motherboard is dead? What should I do, I need this PC running as SOON as possible, hopeing to have it fixed today.

Thanks

Advertisements

Gunz

Gunz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
When you installed it did you notice one of those small "zaps" between your fingers of static electricity?

Make sure the ram is pushed in good. On my old dell its a pain to get Ram to go in just right.

Try Removing the power cord from the power supply for about 20 seconds and push the power button to clear any. Then plug it back in and try turning it on.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
No there were no zaps or anything thing, Ive tried removing the memory stick quite a few times an repowering the PC on. I think I'm just going to go into a store an see if they know what the problem is.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Are you sure that the RAM is pushed in all the way? It should have "clicked" in place, and now be securely latched there.

As for the monitor not powering on, do you mean it is simply not receiving a signal from the computer, or that it isn't even receiving any power. If the later is the case, then the problem is bigger than your computer, because a broken computer wouldn't cause your monitor to break too. Are you sure you are receiving a stable, grounded supply of power from the wall outlet?

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Ive actually just re checked the memory and got the PC booted I'm on it now and its running very veryyy SLOW! Ive powerd of the PC and put in one of the two (1 GIG) memory sticks so the memory shoudl read 1512 MB of memory but my computer doesn't recognize it. Im thinking its probley because its not in the slot right again... but i dont understand why my computer is running slower than usual.

Ive also received messages saying the Memory could not be written on a couple of applications

Edited by Charliee03, 27 November 2007 - 09:12 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
I would get it checked out by a store, you may have done something wrong.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Ive also received messages saying the Memory could not be written on a couple of applications

This sounds highly likely that you have faulty RAM. Here's how you can check:

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible. If it finds any errors, it's possible your RAM stick/s are faulty. Try resetting the BIOS to defaults and run Memtest again. If you still get errors, try just one stick at a time and run the test until you find the culprit stick/s.

Let us know how it goes. :)

cloudy323

cloudy323

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, sorry to hear your trouble. I noticed that you mentioned 'replaced that with two DDR 1 GIG memory chips'. Your original memory stick should be a DDR2 which is 240 pin stick. that is probably why you have difficulty pushing the stick in. the reason i suspect that is i have the same brand computer and I am trying to upgrade my RAM too.
The hardware specifies the memory card on this a1312n a DDR2, PC2-3200. I run a CRUCIAl memory scanner on my machine and it turned out DDR PC2 3200. bewildered, i pulled out the memory stick and actually counted the number of the pins (it is painful to count them!). I turned out 240 pins.
So make sure you have DDR2 instead of DDR memory sticks.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Just because a computer is made by the same brand doesn't mean that it needs the same components. HP has been making computers since 1966, but the computers they made then obviously don't use the same components as the ones they currently make.

However, despite the fact that your first argument for the OP's computer needing DDR2 was invalid, it does in fact need DDR2. However, I would think the OP is using DDR2, or else his computer wouldn't boot even if he managed to somehow get DDR RAM into DDR2 slots. The OP said that he got the computer to boot, but it simply ran slow and failed to properly recognize the RAM. These, along with his memory write errors, are strong indicators of faulty RAM.