Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files And Folders Moving By Themselves?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I'm in IT. A few weeks ago, the manager of our Revenue Audit department told me that files and folders in their Revenue Audit folder on our file server keep moving by themselves. Obviously, he wanted to know why. I told him to let me know when it happens again. Two days pass and he's got something for me. One of their folders has been moved. The original folder was in place, but the files and folders beneath it were gone. Instead, they were in the other copy of the same folder. While looking at the new folder, I discovered that the owner was one of his Revenue Auditors and that the folder had been created a little after 8am (when they arrive for work). This girl, who had created the folder, isn't that good with comptuers. She's been known to make many a mistake, so it was easy to pawn this off on her. We asked her to be more careful when driving the mouse is all.

Then, there was peace in the land...or so I thought. It's happening again now, though. Today, we found another folder that had been moved! This wasn't a simple "cut and paste" job because some of the files and folders stayed in the original folder. The other folder, found in another location, had the rest of the sub files and folders. The owner of these new folders was again a Revenue Auditor, but this time it was a girl who's been here for some time. She's good with computers and very rarely makes mistakes. It is very unlikely that she accidentally created these new folders. In addition, I noticed that the creation date and time for these new folders is the exact same date and time...down to the second. The only way that would be possible, is if she cut and pasted the originals in a new location (but that wouldn't make her the owner, would it?). If she had cut and pasted those folders, then all of their sub files and folders would have come over too. I just don't get it. The time of creation was around 9am, about an hour after the Auditors arrive.

I have never heard of files and folders moving on their own, and although this girl is good on the computer...I'd still like to blame her for this, I just don't have proof.

Have any of you had this type of problem before? Do any of you know of a software package that will allow me to audit files and folders so I can go to someone and say, "Hey, this is what's going on here, see?"

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Edited by magusbuckley, 27 November 2007 - 09:22 AM.

Advertisements

SeanTWarner

SeanTWarner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well... you shouldn't blame "the Girl" unless she works at our company as well. We can not figure out how this is happening at our company. We have a couple hundred folders that are all in the same directory. The folder names are numbers (range from 0001... 3000) they hold temporary PDF files. The Folders keep appearing inside of each other. We assumed that it was because people are accidentally dragging folders when browsing the network or even inside of open/save files dialogs. But sometimes the folders are copied rather than moved (which typically done by holding the control key down, which means its extra effort to cause it to happen.

I too have the questions:
How is it happening.
Is a security setting that will prevent poeple from creating or moving folders, yet still be able to move and create files inside of those folders?
Is there a way to determine (after the fact) who moved the folder?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I doubt you'll get a reply from a post made in 2007 Sean

Gawn Bouling

Gawn Bouling

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Here's another hail mary. I have this same issue happening at my company. A large folder hierarchy where folders are becoming nested inside of each other. I think I have narrowed it down to one specific user, which all the movement seems to be tied to, this user uses Foxit Reader to create and save PDFs. She is the only user that uses this software. I see that in the other reply PDFs were mentioned, and the original post no file type was given. I have also wanted to blame the user, but the workflow makes it nearly impossible. I never thought folders could move on there own and there is no evidence of what is moving it.

So that's the hail mary, the only thing I have is this [bleep] PDF creator. This would also be easier to test if this wasn't one user who uses it for a critical business process.

Any semblance of a response may spare me some sanity.. Thanks

Gawn Bouling

Gawn Bouling

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Here's another hail mary. I have this same issue happening at my company. A large folder hierarchy where folders are becoming nested inside of each other. I think I have narrowed it down to one specific user, which all the movement seems to be tied to, this user uses Foxit Reader to create and save PDFs. She is the only user that uses this software. I see that in the other reply PDFs were mentioned, and the original post no file type was given. I have also wanted to blame the user, but the workflow makes it nearly impossible. I never thought folders could move on there own and there is no evidence of what is moving it.

So that's the hail mary, the only thing I have is this [bleep] PDF creator. This would also be easier to test if this wasn't one user who uses it for a critical business process.

Any semblance of a response may spare me some sanity.. Thanks

Edit: the bleep was the d-word. Guess that wasn't PG enough, my apologies