Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP won't start, won't repair

• Please log in to reply

Tadpole84

Tadpole84

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows XP won't start, even in safe mode. I have tried repairing it using Windows Setup, loaded from the CD-ROM, but after I have selected the partition to install onto, it says that the partition doesn’t have enough space or it is formatted wrong and asks me to reformat. I don't want to loss all my files. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you get to a partition screen, you've gone too far.
Reset the computer, press any key to boot off CD. On the first screen for input, press Enter, press F8 and then you should have an option to repair.
If you get no repair option, then reset again, boot off the CD again and instead of pressing Enter on the first screen, press R instead. If prompted, choose the C:\Windows installation (usually option 1), enter any password if appropriate and press Enter. Then type "CHKDSK /P /R" and press Enter. Let this run, it may take a while.

After this, if you don't see a message that includes the phrase "unrecoverable problems", type "exit", press Enter and go to repair the system again. If this doesn't work, your only option is to format the drive so you may want to hang it off another computer to get your stuff first.

Tadpole84

Tadpole84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much, windows is starting again. Just one more thing. I don't know why it stopped loading. I will run anti-virus and -malware programs, but can you suggest anything else to try and fix whatever is wrong? Again thank you, I was really panicking

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately I have no way of knowing what upset it before so I cannot advise specifically. It's most likely a simple software problem that a repair can solve.