Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin rights

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi,

I have noticed that Windows Vista discourages people from running Vista as an administrator.

Because previous versions of Windows created all users as administrators by default, many users have always logged on to their computers with an administrator account. ... However, most users do not require such a high level of access to the computer.

[The Administrator] account type is not recommended for daily use, and should only be used when necessary.

So how will I be affected by using my computer as a standard user? Is there a way I can perform tasks as an administrator (similar to XP's Run As... command)? What would all of you recommend doing?

Thanks!

Edited by The Admiral, 27 November 2007 - 02:08 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello The Admiral...

To run an application using Admin permissions, just right click on the program icon and choose "Run as Administrator".

wannabe1

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
It could be worse in linux you have to put a password in. But this is actually a security feature.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also, within Vista, if you are not logged in as a user with administrative privileges, then you have to put the password in every time (not just click "yes").

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You had to do that with XP though.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ah yes, but XP does not have the UAC prompts occuring all the time... So in a sense, it was the same, but it was also different!