Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

UBS

UBS

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My PC keeps restarting on its own and after 3-4 restarts, it shows an error message saying windows/PC has recovered from a fatal error.

Windows XP professional (SP2)
512 MB DDR2 Ram.

I am guessing the problem started when I tried to update the yahoo toolbar.

Please help!

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi,

Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F12 or F8 as your system boots up to enter a boot menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking and see if Safe Mode starts. If it does, we need to disable Automatic Reboot. To turn off the automatic reboot feature, go to Start > Control Panel > System and under the Advanced tab, click the Startup and Recovery Settings button. Under System Failure, you will see an option to uncheck the automatic restart option. Uncheck that box. Then restart the system and wait for it to fail. When it does, instead of rebooting, you should see a blue screen with an error code on it. Write down the code (it will look like 0x0000003D) and let us know what it is.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you for your assistance.

I did exactly what you had asked me to. The first time there was no blue screen and my PC did not restart. However, in the second attempt, windows started and windows pop up saying "The system has recovered from a serious error" was displayed. Then I got the blue screen and here is what was displayed:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x c0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x00dfed04).

Thank you.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Okay.

I take it that you can run your computer in Safe Mode? Good. Start your computer in Safe Mode, and open the Registry Editor. To open the Registry Editor, go to Start > Run (or Windows + R) and type in regedit.exe and press Enter. Now on the left pane, you will see five classes or hives, one of them is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Press the plus sign next to that and find SOFTWARE. Expand SOFTWARE. Repeat these steps until you find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. If you highlight Winlogon, in the right pane you will see different pieces of information. One is GinaDLL. Next to GinaDLL is the name of a .dll file, something like msgina.dll. Go ahead and tell us the name of that dll file. We'll replace it if we have to.

Do you use the Yahoo Toolbar often? Let's go ahead and uninstall it. Then you can reinstall it fresh if you do use it often. There could have been an error in the update. You should do this by uninstalling Yahoo Toolbar from the Add/Remove Programs utility found in Control Panel.

I also need to know what kind of system you are using. This will help me with the GINA file if it needs to be replaced. Thanks!

Edited by The Admiral, 28 November 2007 - 08:32 AM.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
My PC is working fine now. Don't know how though. I will still try doing what you asked me to. I had already uninstalled the yahoo toolbar before posting. I will keep you posted. Thanks a lot for everything.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Haha well good to hear it's working. Go ahead and check the GinaDLL. And since it's working right now, go ahead and create a Restore Point in case your system crashes again. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Click Create a Restore Point. Name it, if you wish, and press Create.

Good luck!

aanthonyz

aanthonyz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the same problem but still haven't been able to fix it.

I dont have a GinaDLL...so im lost

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: aanthonyz

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on a topic that is almost 2 years old it is less likely to get you assistance with your issue. Thank you for your cooperation.