Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about laptop

• Please log in to reply

nikki05

nikki05

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok. I have most computer problems downpacked according to my computer teachers, but there's one thing that wasn't explained. Ok I have dsl right now and the internet is always working perfectly on the desktop. However, sometimes when i turn the laptop on, it won't connect and I end up having to unplug then plug in the dsl cord, then it will connect. Other times i turn it on and it will connect. I was wondering if there was a way to get my laptop to know our dsl internet connection and automatically connect to it everytime so i won't have to unplug the dsl router and plug it back in. Is that possible? Also, we are getting FIOS, we already have Verizon now, but we're getting fios internet soon, so should I even worry about that or can I fix it now and it will still work then? Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...laptops can be persnickity about their connections...

the instance you're describing USUALLY occurs when your laptop doesn't get an ip address from your router (or modem router or whatever)....next time you hook up your laptop try this:

press stat, then run, then type "cmd" (without the quotes)

type "ipconfig /release" (no quotes) in the command prompt window

then

type "ipconfig /renew" (no quotes) in the command prompt window

does the laptop connect now?

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

well...laptops can be persnickity about their connections...

the instance you're describing USUALLY occurs when your laptop doesn't get an ip address from your router (or modem router or whatever)....next time you hook up your laptop try this:

press stat, then run, then type "cmd" (without the quotes)

type "ipconfig /release" (no quotes) in the command prompt window

then

type "ipconfig /renew" (no quotes) in the command prompt window

does the laptop connect now?

Thanks a lot!! I will definitely try that the next time it happens. Will it force the computer to always connect every time so I won't have to do that anymore??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...that's something that y ou'd have to do every time you connect...

here's what's usually going on in this situation....your modem (and or router) are always on.....so they're always working...however your laptop isn't always connected to your modem (and or router) so it's connection isn't always on....so when you start your laptop up NOT connected...it assumes it won't need the connection and pretty much just ignores it...USUALLY (and it's supposed to do this) when y ou plug in the network cable..it's supposed to fire up and connect....but sometimes this doesn't happen....doing the ipconfig jazz SHOULD force it to connect

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

no...that's something that y ou'd have to do every time you connect...

here's what's usually going on in this situation....your modem (and or router) are always on.....so they're always working...however your laptop isn't always connected to your modem (and or router) so it's connection isn't always on....so when you start your laptop up NOT connected...it assumes it won't need the connection and pretty much just ignores it...USUALLY (and it's supposed to do this) when y ou plug in the network cable..it's supposed to fire up and connect....but sometimes this doesn't happen....doing the ipconfig jazz SHOULD force it to connect

I'm back again :) It didn't work. The wireless connection computer starts to search, but the antenna looking icon doesn't do anything. It stays with the two red beams coming from it. It normally have the green when everything works. Also, I have to keep manually starting the windows zero configuration because clicking on the computer it says "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection". It works when I manually turn it on. For some reason when others turn their laptops on, it always connects without them having anything plugged in. The wireless connection always connects. This wireless connection almost never connects without me unplugging the router from the wall and plugging it back in. Every once in a while it might automatically connect when i turn it on but a lot of times it don't. It never used to do that before. i don't know why it's acting up now. :\ I just want to get it so that it always connect by itself when i turn it on, like it should.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
.....wait.....wireless?,....why didn't you say that in the first post? heheh

so if you turn your wireless antenna in y our computer off before you shutdown the computer....then turn the computer on...wait for it to load up...then turn the antenna back on...it connects fine? or no

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

.....wait.....wireless?,....why didn't you say that in the first post? heheh

so if you turn your wireless antenna in y our computer off before you shutdown the computer....then turn the computer on...wait for it to load up...then turn the antenna back on...it connects fine? or no

How do I do that? I'm sorry for the questions. I'm just trying to learn more to better myself since I'm trying to be a computer tech. lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....all laptops have a wireless hardware switch...depending on the laptop this could be a physical switch...or a key combination on the keyboard (usually the blue FN key and one of the function keys like f2 or something like that...the button will have a little antenna with some (( )) on the sides of it)

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

well....all laptops have a wireless hardware switch...depending on the laptop this could be a physical switch...or a key combination on the keyboard (usually the blue FN key and one of the function keys like f2 or something like that...the button will have a little antenna with some (( )) on the sides of it)

I see the blue FN button. I don't have a button with the antenna and parenthesis around it. I added pictures but I doubt they'll be useful. The only pictures I see on the buttons are the two buttons with little suns on them, one that looks like the picture of the monitor, the one that looks like a set of keyboard buttons, the one with three disks, the one with 2 locks on one button, and of course the speaker buttons in blue. As far as physical buttons, none of them are an antenna. The ram, and reset button are on the bottom. There's a slide button that has a picture of a battery above it, then of course the mic, and headphones ports, and the volume button. Sorry If i'm confusing you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1207071422.jpg
  • 1207071423.jpg
  • 1207071424.jpg

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what make and model computer is it?

Advertisements

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

what make and model computer is it?

It's a Compaq Presario 2200. On the bottom of the computer it says "Hp service tag". Even though it says Compaq presario 2200, I see a sticker in two places that says 2227US.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hp bought compaq so that's why it says hp

i don't have a picture but i THINK (by their description) that there should be a button on the front of the laptop...possibly on the front edge near the touch pad?

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

hp bought compaq so that's why it says hp

i don't have a picture but i THINK (by their description) that there should be a button on the front of the laptop...possibly on the front edge near the touch pad?

Oohh duh! I knew that button but I never looked at it. I remember accidentally pressing it once before and the connection cut off. So I'm supposed to turn that off, shut down, then turn the laptop on again?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah something like that.....

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts