Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stereo Speakers to Computer

• Please log in to reply

Sicilian Guy 117

Sicilian Guy 117

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Description: I have two stereo type speakers. They do not contain any RCA wires, just simple copper wires (it is almost like two wires together in one but the plastic around the wires holds them together; stripped at the ends basically). I have a regular sound card on my computer with a 3.5 mm output.

Problem: I want to somehow connect the stereo speakers to my computer for almost like a surround sound. I want the two stereo ones as well as the regular small computer speakers connected. Is it possible for both and if so how can I do this and what kind of wires and/or adapters do I need? If it is not, then how can I connect just the two stereo speakers?

Edited by Sicilian Guy 117, 18 April 2005 - 04:37 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
To connect up stereo (ie non-powered) speakers to your system, you need the following :

A stereo amplifier

A set of phono (rca) leads long enough to stretch from rear of PC to amp.

If you are using a standard 2xphono to 2xphono lead (ie like the ones that connect a standalone stereo CD player to amp, then you will also need a mini-jack to 2xphono socket adapter.
Alternatively, you can just buy a 2xphono to mini jack lead.

The mini jack adapter plugs into speaker port on sound card. Phono lead connects to phono sockets the adapter. Phono sockets at other end of lead connect to AUX or CD input for example, on rear of amp.
Speakers connect to amp as normal.

If you want to connect 2 stereo speakers & 2 computer speakers at the same time, you would require 2 output ports on the soundcard (eg front & rear speaker ports).

Timbo

Timbo

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
can i have my stereo plugged into my SoundBlaster, and my normal pc speakers in my Intell that came with the pc? and have these both playing the same sound at the same time.

Additionaly i posted a topic about this, you may reply there if you wish...