Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card Help, Please!

• Please log in to reply

absolute destruction

absolute destruction

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, i recently bought and inserted a new graphics card into my system. It's a 128mb GeForce 6200 series AGP. I did this without upgrading my last drivers from my other graphics card. Well i now need to uninstall the other drivers. However, i inserted the CD and tried installing the graphics card but it installed until half way and restarted itself, so i tried again and the same thing happened. So i installed DircetX9, which installed successfully. So, i tried to install the graphics card again but it asked me to uninstall my last drivers so i select that option but it takes me back to the main menu of the CD options. Also, my computer is working slower than before and everytime i scroll down, instead of scrolling, it refreshes the page and goes down to the area i want, this also happens with small windows which i move around they refresh and appear at the place my cursor appears. Also, dxdiag doesnt identify my device. My friends have told me to either delete my whole drvier file and update the drivers from the nVidia site, or just simply download the drivers from the nVidia site. When I watch videos it laggs, also i cannot load games either. Could you please help me?

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Yeah itll run slow without the graphics driver. What OS you using (like Windows XP, Vista etc)

Generally the method is to open control panel, open system, open Device Manager, expand the option "Display Adapters" and then right click and uninstall.

but i need to know what OS version it is.

Also if all else fails - reinstall the OS, sometimes its the only way.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi absolute destruction, welcome to Geeks to Go!

This does sound rather interesting... The problem you have described is simply what happens when Windows is unable to identify an appropriate video driver and is running on very low settings to maintain compatibility. I would try and put the old card back in and hope that it boots up, then you could uninstall it properly (as comanighttrain has described) and turn your computer off, then put the new one in and start again.

You have XP, that correct? I don't think we have to look at a complete reinstall just yet, plenty of other options to try first.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Since thats and out dated card I'm guessing the drivers that come with it are also out dated. Download the latest NVIDIA ForceWare drivers from HERE and try using that to install your driver.

Soorena