Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computers Shuts Down During Startup..Power Supply?

• Please log in to reply

gobcross

gobcross

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just two days ago a tranformer (edit: I accidentally typed transister in the original post) exploded in my neighborhood, knocking out all power and zapping two of my computers. Now both will not start up. After asking a few people what they knew about this they suggested checking the power supply. A friend was able to give me a used power supply similar (Hipro) to the one previously in my computer. Now when I power up, the fans start spinning, though the one near the processor kicks it into high gear then after 10 seconds or so shuts down. The first time it seemed like the boot process was going normally. The next few times I'd get a message about how there was an unexpected shut down.

Here's a little more info....

Hp Pavilion a1030n
Replacement power supply: HiPro HP p251gf3
Original Power supply: HP-D2537fr3
P4 Processor

Thanks

Chris

Edited by gobcross, 28 November 2007 - 08:27 AM.

Advertisements

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
A sudden surge like that could of blown the powersupply or even blown some vital components on your mobo,

gobcross

gobcross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
From the people I've spoken too, they also suggest it may be a MoBo problem. Unfortunately, it's an HP and the boards they use are hard to match up. Grrrrrr.

Thanks

gobcross

gobcross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
A change of fortunes (I think). Last night after cleaning the inside of the case, the fan, the heat sync and the MoBo I was able to get my computer to boot up without shutting down. Though the CPU usage seems to be a little out of control. Any idea why this would be a problem?