Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Think Pad ....need help

• Please log in to reply

facepainterlady

facepainterlady

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I won a Lenovo Think Pad last year. Problem is that it has no software other than being able to write and transform writing into typed text. It's been sitting since I got it. Was a $1700 (supposedly) product at the time, so I know it's GOT to have some capabilities.

What is the best way to be able to add software? A lady at the store told me to get a docking station, but those don't have a place for CD/DVD etc. as I've seen. Can someone help me so I don't waste away a good computer? (My stupid taxes on this thing were $650!)

Thanks in advance. I'd at least like to put Microsoft Office on it so I can take it to do PowerPoint Presentations. :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
A lot of software these days, even Microsoft applications, can be purchased online and downloaded from the relevant websites, though a fast broadband connection is needed for large applications otherwise it would take several hours and even days.

I'm guessing the laptop doesn't have a built in CD-ROM drive, which is a bit of a handicap these days as all retail software now is on CD-ROM or DVD. However, a 'plug in' external CD-ROM drive is not unusual for laptops which don't have one built-in, usually connected to the laptop via USB. This means any USB CD-ROM drive should work, regardless of who makes it.
Lenovo's own offering is here and it writes to CD also: http://shop.lenovo.c...9D77F5867D31462

If that's more than you wish to spend, you'll find many more if you type 'external cd-rom drives' (without the quotes) on the Google search engine.

facepainterlady

facepainterlady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. Another person had said that, but I wasn't sure if an external drive was really the way to go. Thanks, though, for the post. At least it confirms what I was told otherwise. Sometimes you get bogus info because someone wants to sell you something.....like the wireless card I just bought for $25 when another was available for $8.....It still sticks out of my laptop! ARGH! I wish I'd have bought the $8 one, but the store rep said to get the $25 one! $#%()*&$)(*#$% :)

In any case, I appreciate your reply!