I have two computers (desktop and Laptop) both running XP Pro SP2 with IE 7. I also have a 1 TB Network Storage Unit with three volumes (all shared) on it. I have mapped these three drives to both my desktop and my laptop. On the desktop, all my applications except IE 7 can see the mapped drives and have no problems reading or writing to the mapped drives. IE 7 can see the mapped drives and has no problem with the mapped drives when I use the "File- Open" or "File-Save As" menu items; HOWEVER, when I am trying to download a file from a website and save it, IE 7 will not let me save it to a mapped drive. I can only save to a local hard drive. Pertinent details:
- The error message is "an error occurred while reconnecting X: to \\RAN-NAS\MEDIA Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use This connection has not been restored"
- As mentioned this problem only occurs when trying to save a download file from a website in IE 7. Even after I get the error, I have no problem using the mapped drives from any other application.
- I get the same message when I try to save to the network location directly rather than to the mapped drive with IE 7
- I have tried resetting IE 7, and removing and reinstalling IE 7 but it made no difference.
- The Laptop has absolutely no problems at all. It can see the mapped drives and can read and write from all applications including IE 7. I can't find any difference in any of the configuration settings between the desktop and the laptop.
I have spent hours and hours on this and have no idea what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.