Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE 7 problems with Network Drive

• Please log in to reply

rantech

rantech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This problem has been driving me crazy ...

I have two computers (desktop and Laptop) both running XP Pro SP2 with IE 7. I also have a 1 TB Network Storage Unit with three volumes (all shared) on it. I have mapped these three drives to both my desktop and my laptop. On the desktop, all my applications except IE 7 can see the mapped drives and have no problems reading or writing to the mapped drives. IE 7 can see the mapped drives and has no problem with the mapped drives when I use the "File- Open" or "File-Save As" menu items; HOWEVER, when I am trying to download a file from a website and save it, IE 7 will not let me save it to a mapped drive. I can only save to a local hard drive. Pertinent details:

- The error message is "an error occurred while reconnecting X: to \\RAN-NAS\MEDIA Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use This connection has not been restored"
- As mentioned this problem only occurs when trying to save a download file from a website in IE 7. Even after I get the error, I have no problem using the mapped drives from any other application.
- I get the same message when I try to save to the network location directly rather than to the mapped drive with IE 7
- I have tried resetting IE 7, and removing and reinstalling IE 7 but it made no difference.
- The Laptop has absolutely no problems at all. It can see the mapped drives and can read and write from all applications including IE 7. I can't find any difference in any of the configuration settings between the desktop and the laptop.

I have spent hours and hours on this and have no idea what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The problems with drive X are usually caused by issues not related to IE7. This is telling you that there's a problem connecting that drive. IE7 will happily download to it but there's an issue establishing Drive X. The clue is in the error message, for some reason the system is trying to establish it again.

A simple testing solution is to install IE7 and download using IE6 to see if the problem continues to occur.

rantech

rantech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did uninstall IE 7 and then I tried IE 6 but the problem persisted, and then I reinstalled IE 7 and the problem is still here. I realize the problem may not be with IE 7 ...

- The problem isn't with the network drive since the laptop has no issues at all
- It is very unlikely the problem is with the drive mapping since when I delete all the mapped drives and try to access the network drives via Network Places, the exact same problem occurs - the "Save As" dialog hangs with a "Not Responding" message.
- The problem on the desktop only exhibits with IE. Nothing else (File Explorer, My Computer, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Nikon View, etc.) has any problem seeing or using (both reading and writing) to any of my network drives. Either the network volumes on the NAS or the shared volume on my laptop.

Other messages that have come up at various times (always in IE) include:

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'target.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again"

"\\RAN-NAS\Media is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

"X:\ is not accessible. The network path was not found"

Interestingly enough, immediately after having the problem in IE, I can open "My Computer" and it will show all the network drives as "Disconnected". I can then click on any of the drives in "My Computer" and they have no problem connecting (nor do they have any problem if I use another application to access them at this point). Once they show as connected, I can open IE and try again but the exact same problem persists and then "My Computer" again shows them as disconnected.

My conclusions are:
- The exact error message is misleading since I get the same hang whether going to the drive via a mapped drive or directly via "Network Places" but different messages are displayed depending on the exact method used to try and save.
- There is something not working right in regards to the network drives on the desktop and for some reason IE must access network drives in a different way than all other applications so the problem only becomes apparent in IE and not the other programs. This makes it almost impossibly difficult to diagnose since everything else in Windows says the drives are working fine. Perhaps this could even be a hardware problem?
- IE is definitely doing something (and is not entirely benign) since the drives are reported as connected before using IE but then are reported as disconnected after using IE ?

I'm as mystified as ever.

Robert

rantech

rantech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I decided to quit bashing my head against a wall and have installed Firefox and made it my default browser. It seems to work just fine and has no problems with downloading to my network drives.