Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadband Speed

• Please log in to reply

portland

portland

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there Guys

I was watching the gadget show on Monday night and they have added a Broadband speed test to there web site due to the fact that most providers promises of 8mb speeds are way over estimated

I tested mine and found that the actual speed at the time was less than 2mb (1.87 to be exact)

I realise I cannot complain to BT about this as they sold the 8mb speed with the tiltle 'Up To'

But what I am wondering is, If I change from 8mb to 2mb will I still get the same speed ie (1.87) or will this fall to an even lower level

:) :)

Edited by portland, 28 November 2007 - 03:05 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All 8Mb packages are sold as being "up to 8mb".
95% of the UK population will be lucky to get anywhere near 8Mb.
The average broadband speed is between 2Mb and 4Mb depending on location and phone wiring.
Virtually all UK lines are capable of a 512kbps connection and the vast majority can get a 1Mb connection. A 2Meg connection may be pushing it in some locations.
If you were to downgrade to a 2Mb connection you should still connect at the same speed, however you'll probably find that this would be pushed to you as an "up to 2Mb" connection, so you'd probably be better off staying as you are in the knowledge that as technology improves, your speeds should go up in the long term being it as an "up to" package.

portland

portland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank's Mr Jones

In that case I will just stay as is :) m