Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new computer

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok I'm in a hurry so I'll make it quick. Drop the sound card, go with the old video card, and pick another PSU like the OCZ GameXstream. I will explain or someone else will when I get back.

Soorena

Advertisements

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The video card that I have out performs the last video card I had, speed wise. But what I am thinking of doing, which I am 95% sure of doing is waiting til December 11th when the new 8800 GTS comes out, because I have read that it outperforms the GTX, I dont know much about the PSU so I will take your advice on that. And the sound card, I am a gamer and I want to have really good sound, is the board well enough equipped for sound? I plan to overclock the cpu to about 3.4 or 3.5; so should I be getting a better PSU? Thanks for the insight guys, im not buying everything at once and im not doing it right now so take your time.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes the power supply you choose is a poor PSU and I'd recommend purchasing a better one, whats you budget for it?
As for the sound card, unless you want to get a x-fi the card you have choosen is only marginally better then the onboard sound which is found on your motherboard.
Keep the 8800GT unless you do want to wait for the new 8800GTS, it'd be a good choice, considering the performance it supposedly will offer for the price.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 November 2007 - 12:22 PM.

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah I need a new PSU but I am not familiar with them so if you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome! As for the video card if what you guys say are true with the G92 core then I will wait but I need an exact date if anyone knows. As for a price range, I am not buying everything at once, so I could buy the best of the best. Lemme know what to switch out, I already bought the ram and the hdd. And I also found a new case, same type as the other one with 4 built in fans and sound ports and usb ports on the front.

UV Red, Logisys CS888UVRD Acrylic Mid-tower Computer ATX Case w/ 4 UV Fans, Front USB & Audio, Pre-Assembled!
http://www.directron.../cs888uvrd.html

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It was delayed once and could be delayed again, originally the date was set for November 19th, though it seems there is a pretty firm date for December 11th now.
I recommend buying it all at once as everything gets devalued over time.
Cases are based on personal preference, I'm not much for LED's personally, but others do like them (bad when you game in the dark).
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 November 2007 - 01:33 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
very annoying if you like to leave your computer on to >>legally<< download stuff too.

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
LOL, comanighttrain, I know exactly what you mean. It may be a very annoying thing but I can fall asleep easily with lights, but on the other hand my girlfriend cannot

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Get the OCZ GameXstream 700W power supply. You cannot beat the performance for the price, I have been suggesting that PSU for some time now to guys looking to get the best deal or best price/performance ratio.

Its always nice to know you just saved some money. The OCZ 700W is a High quality unit so don't worry about it being cheap. Yes you could spend more but its not needed at all..

http://www.clubit.co...itemno=A6276522

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341002

its cheaper at clubit.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

LOL, comanighttrain, I know exactly what you mean. It may be a very annoying thing but I can fall asleep easily with lights, but on the other hand my girlfriend cannot

She needs to go man....you fps will go up too.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

You should try teaching her how to play FPS then you can rotate and get your score up,

Soorena

EDIT: Sorry got carried away thanks for the tip.

Edited by SOORENA, 30 November 2007 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Soorena I edited your original reply here you may want to think twice about making comments like that not only would your GF find it offensive but all woman would

so please keep the remarks on topic please thats a warning for all

Thanks
Don :)