Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a high resoultion monitor cause video card to freeze?

• Please log in to reply

synonymous87

synonymous87

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I recently posted a problem on your site which I thought was malware, but I was told was not. My computer has been freezing lately, and the only recent change I made was connecting a high resolution HD monitor. I have a GeForce2 mx 400 video card, and I think it might be the cause of my freeze. I ran a windows repair as instructed in this forum, and the computer froze shortely after. Any suggestions?

Scott

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The physical monitor itself shouldn't make any difference, its more likely the card, because of its age, struggles to run at higher resolutions. Therefore a first test is to reduce your screen desktop resolution through Windows and see how it goes from there.

synonymous87

synonymous87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I will most likely buy a new video card. Is there one you could recommend that would be compatible w/ my motherboard n cpu?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Not without knowing what you've got.

Geforce 2 MX 400 is an AGP card so supposedly any AGP card you can get your hands on should be okay.

synonymous87

synonymous87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Mother board is
VT8366A-8233

CPU is 1.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP 1900+

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
VT8366A-8233 is the variation on the chipset, it'll have been used on a lot of boards that take that processor. A board brand name would be better if you can find one, please :)

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
One of the best of it's time AGP graphics cards was the ATi Radeon 9800XT. There are some cards today which have been made PCI-E then changed to AGP, these would be good performance too.

synonymous87

synonymous87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366A-8233

Is that what you mean?