Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Driver Issue with Vista

• Please log in to reply

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm not sure this is the right place for this post but here goes...

I just reformatted from XP to Vista with a clean install. I am trying to install Nvidia drivers for my 7900GT and am having an issue. According to Nvidia's site the latest driver for me is the Forceware 163.75, I D/L and install it and when I go to increase my screen resolution my screen scrambles and I can't see anything. I have to reboot and then it is fine, just not the proper resolution... any ideas?

Here is a video I found of someone having the same problem! (No Solution though)

Heres some of my system specs:

AMD x2 4200+
2G RAM
7900GT

Monitor is a Hanns-G 19" Wide, native 1440x900

PLEASE HELP!!

Edited by Rookie Builder, 28 November 2007 - 09:58 AM.

Advertisements

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
do you have the latest monitor drivers?

check around at http://www.hannsg.com/

i can find them for you if you give me the correct model number, but if you are happy with yourself doing it then just check out the support pages on the website above!

when downloaded just install the drivers! this will allow the computer to "speak" to the monitor properly, instead of vista using its generic drivers!!

let me know how it goes!

ry

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah, that was a thought I had, I did install the current driver for my monitor but no luck.

Actually, things got worse for a bit, I tries reinstalling the Nvidia Driver then using Nvidia control panel to up my resolution. Not only did I get the scrambled screen again but this time when I restarted my computer wouldnt start. I just kept starting up then instead of going into Vista it would restart again on it's own.

I ended up entering Safe Mode and reinstalling Vista again... now I'm back to square one!! This sucks, please help!!

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
what was the name of the company that made your graphics card?

i.e. i use a nvidia geforce 8600GT but XFX made it!!

it might help to download the nvidia drivers from their website, as in the past i have found that the ones on the XFX site differ slightly from the ones on the nvidia website!

let me know!

ry

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
It's an EVGA card, I didnt know I could get th driver through them... I'm at work till later this afternoon but will try that as soon as I get home, will post how it turns out!

Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: I just checked the EVGA site, they do have a driver download but it says that its 163.75 which is the same driver I was getting direct from Nvidia... is it possible that it is still slightly different?

Also, I was reading something about someone with this problem and it reccomended installing an earlier driver, 158.24 I can't find it though, anyone know where I could get it to try it out?

Edited by Rookie Builder, 29 November 2007 - 07:01 AM.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
they are not always the same drivers (i found out by talking to XFX tech support and plus the file sizes can be different too!!)

try it from the EVGA site first, but then as a last resort download the older ones!

let me know how it goes!

ry

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Can you point me to a driver cleaning program? If I try the newer ones once again I want to make sure I'm able to fully remove them if they dont work.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
if you go Start>Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Display driver

find your graphics adapter in the expanded Display driver area, then right click it and choose properties, then choose the driver tab, and then click the uninstall driver option!

this will wipe the drivers clean and upon restart windows will install generic drivers, then download the newer ones!

let me know how it goes!

ry

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, took some steps back but have made a little progress... I got home and tried to turn the comp on and it started doing the restart bit again. I ended up going out and getting a new harddrive, figure start fresh... so I'm installed and have installed an older Nvidia driver- 158.24. I am able to increase my screen res but not all the way up, the highest setting it allows me to go to is 1280x1024. My native Res is 1440x900.

Also, in the window to chgange my res, it says I have 2 monitors, the Hanns-G and also a "default" monitor... any idea why that would be and what I can do about it?

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
if the hanns monitor is lablelled a number 1 by nvidia it shouldn't make any difference!!

where did you download this nvidia driver from? if your feeling brave you could try the newer one! but that is up to you!!!

what happens if you turn it up to your native res?

ry

Rookie Builder

Rookie Builder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well, here is where I'm at... I installed the older driver and was able to up the Resolution, the only catch was that it didnt even give the option of going as high as my native (1440x900). Then I updated Vista for the first time, after doing that I looked at the resolution again and I was able to up it all the way... when I did I got the same result- wavy lines and had to restart.

In the end, this has beaten me... I caved and ordered a new Video card last night. I have been reading a little about other people having this same issue and it seems to be isolated to the 7900 and 7950 models of card. I went ahead and ordered an 8600 last night, from what I've read that should solve the problem- got a pretty good deal as well, an EVGA overclocked 8600GTS and 2 more Gigs of DDR2 memory for $245.

Hopefully that solves the issue, I'll let you know! And thanks for the help!

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
your welcome

keep me posted!

ry